Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Mindfully Washing the Dishes

When your mind is clear, empty of memories and knowledge, things are seen exactly as they are.
Patanjali

Stepping Away from Active Thinking and  Resisting

Yesterday  was a bit of a rough day but only because I couldn't get my mind past the fog, the pain and the to do list that was engraved in my head.  I had so much to do to prepare for my first class today and despite how I felt physically  I got that done.

My moment of transition yesterday from a state of active thinking and resisting came when I was washing the dishes.  I was standing over the sink  thinking about how rotten I felt and I picked up a bowl from the bubbly water.  It was smooth in my hand and I suddenly remembered a saying from the translation of Patanjali I have about washing dishes...The translating  author suggested treating  each dish as if it felt our touch; he instructed that we should be gentle and careful like we were bathing a baby. If the dishes clang, clash or bang during the process, be mindful, we  are making them cry.

A Sacred Experience

Even washing the dishes can be a sacred holy thing.  So I became very mindful. I just felt the warm round surface of the bowl as the bubbles dripped from it.  I breathed in the scent of Palmolive which was so familiar and soothing to my senses.  I let my hands hold on to each fork and spoon in the sink before I lifted them up to be washed...one at a time, gently and in no hurry. I leaned into the cupboard, relaxing my body,  and looked out at the spring light filling my back yard.  I was not focusing on "getting it done" but on being in that moment.  It was really quite lovely.  :)  (Imagine that coming from someone who hates housework as much as I do lol)

It inspired me to get dressed...I was in my PJ's and playing the "sick role" all day.  And I went for a walk.  I didn't get far before the chest pain hit but at least I went...I tried...I got out there.  I stopped resisting life which I thought I had to do because I was feeling so miserable and had so much "work" to do.  I lived a bit.
    
This morning...I woke up to glorious light, a choir of robins outside my window and a body that is relatively pain free.  Yeah!!  Slept through the night.  I am so very grateful for that.

All is well in my world!

No comments:

Post a Comment