Wednesday, April 5, 2017

A little more on a patient focused and holistic approach to wellness


The cure of many diseases is unknown to physicians...because they are ignorant of the whole. For the part can never be well unless the whole is well.
Plato

More tired than usual the last week or so.  Pooped out lol...even with the writing. Still, it is through writing that I feel better.

Yesterday I felt that health continuum article coming out of me and it was persistent and determined  so I plopped it  down here ...  even though I had already completed my morning fix of an entry a day.  :) Sometimes...I just have to write something specific.  I am not sure why...but it is like out of the blue I hear a little voice saying, "Okay you go sit your butt down right now and I am going to tell you what to do with those fingers of yours."  Next thing I know there is a big long spiel about something that has been on my mind for a while maybe or something I never thought about before ( at least not consciously :)) staring up at me from the once blank page.  It is kind of cool.   This type of "inspired" writing  usually leads to more awareness and more education and more growth.  :) It takes me to wellness!  The teacher, the healer is coming from the inside rather than the outside. Maybe I am channelling Hippocrates or someone lol.

Anyway...just writing that entry yesterday afternoon  has made things clearer for me.  I know where I am.  For the most part, I am very, very healthy functioning at a high level of wellness...physically, however, I am struggling with issues I believe to be disabling and limiting right now.  So I am not in balance nor do I have "complete well being". As Plato quotes above...I am not really well until all of me is well.  My goal is to get beyond that and carry all of me to well being.  How do I do that?  Not by pushing for a  more solid diagnosis and "outside" intervention  but by using my strengths which are my awareness, desire to learn and willingness to grow.  It is all good. I am going to get there.

When I see the limitations of the medical model, I also can detach from my need for validation from others a little bit more.  I see how I do not belong in one neat little spot on the continuum nor do I have to.  Which is a good thing.  Don't get me wrong...I am by no means devaluing physicians or what they can do.  I just believe that the responsibility for wellness belongs to the individual.  The individual determines, achieves, controls and maintains it.  Physicians play a very important "supportive" role in the health experience but they are not the key player...the patient is. We also have to look beyond mental and physical health to all dimensions of health and especially to the role spirit plays in wellness. The only parts of me that are not highly functioning right now...are the physical and the social in terms of employment and finances.  Everything else is A okay.  :) I am confident that my growth is going to take me to a place that will bring these not so healthy parts of me in alignment with the rest of me that is already soaring at a high level of wellness.

All truly is well in my little world.  :)

This condition of holistic health is defined as the unlimited and unimpeded free flow of life force energy through body, mind, and spirit.  ....
The Academy of Integrative Health & Medicine  (https://ahha.org/selfhelp-articles/principles-of-holistic-medicine/)

1 comment: