Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Spring Brings New Hope

I see the robins outside my window searching for food in the big patches of bare lawn that are now visible.  The snow is melting so quickly; the robins are plentiful; the air is warm and filled with the perfume of thawing earth and it can only mean one thing.  Spring has sprung.  How wonderful is that?  :) I love spring.  My father used to recite these words every year, the same words his mother recited to him..."Spring brings new hope."  No matter how challenging things seem to be ...how rough of a winter one endured...spring reminds us that there is still hope and new beginnings.

 
A Light Exists in Spring
 
A light exists in spring
Not present on the year
At any other period.
When March is scarcely here

A color stands abroad
On solitary hills
That science cannot overtake,
But human naturefeels.

It waits upon the lawn;
It shows the furthest tree
Upon the furthest slope we know;
It almost speaks to me.

Then, as horizons step,
Or noons report away,
Without the formula of sound,
It passes, and we stay:

A quality of loss
Affecting our content,
As trade had suddenly
encroached
Upon a sacrament.
 
 

Emily Dickinson

From Poem Hunter.com: https://www.poemhunter.com/poem/a-light-exists-in-spring/

I love this poem about the light seen in the beginning of spring.  I love this poet.  I think she and I were kindred spirits :)   I often write about the light...especially the change in light that spring brings about.  It is so subtle yet so brilliant...so difficult to explain, yet so difficult not to feel....almost spiritual and sacred.  This is the hope my father and grandmother spoke of.  I could never describe as brilliantly and as eloquently as Dickinson does, however.

All is well.





1 comment: