Saturday, April 1, 2017

Letting Go

Some people believe that holding on and hanging in there are  signs of great strength.  However, there are times when it takes much more strength to know when to let go and then do it.
Ann Landers

Hmmm!  I have always had this remarkable ability to walk away from things once I reach a certain point of knowing it is time to. 

Walking Away

That walking away can be merely emotional or mental ...as in not allowing something to consume me... but it can  also be physical.  Once I know it is time and I feel ready...I can turn my back on a person, place or situation and never revisit it again.  I can completely shut it out of my world somehow.

When I leave a relationship, for example, I leave a relationship.  I shut it all down on some level.  I can let it go...with it goes any resentment, wanting, blaming and needing. I forgive and let it go so I can move forward into my life. 

That ability is a gift and a blessing and it has saved me many, many times. The only necessary component for this to happen peacefully  is the readiness.  I have to be ready.  If I am pulled from a situation  by unexpected circumstance or choices made by others or if someone leaves me without warning  when there was no time for proper goodbyes...it is harder to let go.  I eventually do but it takes a little longer because I wasn't ready.

Readiness comes from acceptance.  When we finally put down our futile attempts to instigate change in areas we have no right to control i.e the behaviour of other people; Life's flow; nature etc ...we can begin to make ourselves ready.

 Ready for what? 

Ready to accept life as it is.  When I stop trying to nag, push, cajole and manipulate my children to behave a certain way, for example, I am becoming accepting of that fact that this is their life journey not mine.  When I do that I am ready to let go of any false sense of ownership over their choices, over them, I think I may have.  I let them go.  I turn my back...not so much on my children...but on the people I expected and wanted them to be.  I let that go. 

And what do I find instead? 

The people that they are. I move forward in an authentic and real way.  We all move forward.

That is what letting go offers...an opportunity to move forward authentically.  Holding on and hanging in keep us stuck in the past. I don't know about you, but I want to be pulled into life by all that is in front of me.  I can't be pulled forward if I am held back. Letting go is freeing.

All is well in my world.

1 comment: