Thursday, May 12, 2022

The Horns of a Little Beast

 If the mind is fully saturated with something, whatever happens to the body, will not affect the mind. The mind is even unaffected by the good and bad intentions of another, even as the firmly established mountain is not moved by the horns of a little beast. 

The Vasisthas/ Deepak Chopra

I love this passage from the Vasisthas as read by Deepak Chopra in the below meditation series. What others "do" or "don't do", what they "say" or "don't say" does not have to topple us over.  When we realize who we really are...and the mind is "fully saturated"  with that knowing...the behavior of others  is all so insignificant to our true sense of well being. I realized this again a few days ago when I was dealing with a perception of unfair treatment that led to memory of what I believed was unfair judgement of me in the past.  Like all such thought streams,  that one little "sting" rolled down the mental and emotional hill like a snowball collecting enough snow to become an avalanche. So quickly this  momentum  happens when we are on a downhill spiral. 

I caught myself ,then,  allowing and even encouraging this downhill spiral and I was able to stop it. I  was very grateful for a realization that occurred that allowed some old stored emotional stuff to be released and then I was grateful for the "greater truth"  that emerged from it all. When I was able to ask the question, "Who is hurt by all this?', I realized it was just my personality that got stung by the horns of this little beast  and not my true solid self which is as sturdy and un-penetrable, as firmly established as a mountain.  Hmm. 

Well so called "offense" comes in many forms and many intensities but we should be able to remain as firmly established as a mountain through all of it, shouldn't we?  I am asking for that mountain like stability now because a little beast may be heading this way. As tiny and insignificant  the will and behaviors of others may be, I know his horns can do physical damage to anything less than a mountain.  It is not my physical safety I am worried about even though threats were made, it is the physical and emotional well being  of my loved ones who were directly involved.  The horns of this little, suddenly released, beast have caused damage in the past and now I fear the beast is even angrier making it even more dangerous. The "threat" of nothing more than a mere future possibility are the horns butting up against me now,  and the  the fear of the unknown, the worry over the safety and well being of my loved ones is the steam he is snorting through his nostrils.  The  flesh of this beast is made up of  unconsciousness and a pain so great all that is seen is red. Will it move me? What can I do to ensure my loved one feels the firm stability of her own mountain roots through all this? 

I am reminded to trust.  All things happen for a reason.

Literally minutes before I received the news of the release, I was meditating and during that meditation I was thinking about this individual and saying, "May you heal, May you find peace, May you transform, May you be well." As soon as I finished the phone rang and I received the very shocking and unexpected news. Though I want all this for this individual  I do not want that energy that is still unhealed around my loved ones.  I don't want the littlest and most vulnerable of all to absorb any of that energy. As if this clump of flesh and overactive mind I call "me" has a say. 

There is some higher purpose at work here and instead of living in confusion, judgement and resentment for the system, and fear we can go inward to reestablish our stable mountains.

Who will be hurt? Not the Infinite Consciousness which is that which can saturate the mind and give us our mountain stability.  Everything else then becomes... just the horns of a little beast. We can find peace by calming our minds regardless of what the minds of others are thinking and doing.  

When the mind ceases its agitation all the good and  noble qualities blossom.  There is peace and purity of heart. We do not fall into doubt or error.  There is friendship which promotes the happiness of all. Worries and anxieties dry up. When the darkness of ignorance is dispelled the inner light shines brightly. Mental distractions and distress cease.  

Just as the ocean becomes calm when  the wind ceases to agitate its surface, Infinite Consciousness alone shines.

Just as space is unaffected and untouched by the clouds that float in it, this Infinite Consciousness is unaffected  and untouched by the Universe that appears in it.

Just as Light is not seen except through the refracting agent, even so Infinite Consciousness is revealed through these various bodies.  It is essentially nameless and formless but names and forms are associated to its reflection. 

All is well

Deepak Chopra and Adam Plack ( 2011) The Secrets of Healing: Meditations for Transformation. Spotify

No comments:

Post a Comment