Friday, May 20, 2022

Morning Practice-Poem

 Morning Practice

The sleepy fingers of morning 

tap gently

on my window pain.(pane...lol...Freudian) 

From layers of protective sleep,

 I awaken

to its gentle and rhythmic percussion,

 to its choir humming the mantra of Life

in the back ground,

buzzing,  and singing

in glorious praise for what is.

I open my eyes to the golden limbs of light

stretching, flexing and balancing

on nature’s open and receptive mat.

 

Reluctantly, wearily,

dragging with me the heavy heart and mind

I have been carrying around

 like a weighted blanket,

I remove myself from this  bed.

I make my way to the window ,

so aware of the hesitancy  of my own limbs,

the claustrophobic breath caught in  my chest,

this tiny  mind beginning to  twirl and swirl  with activity

as it too  comes  back to its usual hyperactive life.


Then I witness , in awe, 

a true Yogi practice.


A ritual of reverence takes place before me.

Graceful limbs of early morning sun

bend and lengthen,

contract and expand

as the awakening world inhales and exhales

 in perfect synchrony.  

Breath,  and body of light move as

one upon the earth

where time suddenly ceases to be important .

And as I watch, warm and golden fingertips

 reach up  from the smiling yogi

to gently pierce the veil that

 I have been wearing

for much too long.


The heaviness falls off me,

these lungs expand , 

this heart opens,

the mind stops,

just  long enough to allow the light inside.

I find myself inhaling as I stretch up toward

a spacious sky so inviting,

exhaling,  I bend to brush

my fingers along the solid and stable earth.  


I do my best to mimic the moves of

the Great Teacher in front of me.

Asana after asana,

breath after breath,

 I salute It

as It  salutes me,

and for a timeless moment

we are One.

© Dale-Lyn , May, 2022


I woke up to this beautiful light outside my window.  I have not been feeling 100 percent, so I really just wanted to go back to sleep but no, I knew this light had caught my attention for a reason.  It had broken through my heavy mind and my heavy body with a gift I could either ignore or I could appreciate. I had that little voice go off inside me, "Poem!"  So I decided, reluctantly, as the poem expresses ...to appreciate.  Firstly, I got up and went to the window to watch the rays of a lovely sunrise stretch across my lawn.  It really was breath taking.  I felt the sun was saluting me...so of course, I had to salute it.  I proceeded to do my sun salutations with much more reverence and mindfulness than I have in a long, long time. And secondly, because I  tend to show my appreciation for such beauty through poetry... I followed the calling and wrote a poem. (Appreciation for beauty was the my third strongest character strength according to the exercise I did...go figure. ) 

This poem did not come out here...but for some reason I felt compelled to put it here.

All is well! 

No comments:

Post a Comment