Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Signature Strengths

Survey research has found  that most people ( up to two-thirds)  don't have a meaningful awareness of their strengths. What's more, its all too common to under-use their strengths.  

Dr. Ryan Niemiec 

Sharing Too Much? 

Now,  I know I share an awful lot on a blog that is truly not supposed to be "all about me".  It is actually supposed to be a reflection on the dissolution of  this notion of "me" I, and so many of us, still cling to. Through  an ego perspective...I am breaking some social taboo. It may appear to be way too much " personal" information to share on a public domain...stuff best left in the space between the four walls of the counselling office.  Believe "me",  what is left of my ego is loud and reprimanding  every time I write like I did yesterday. Yet, here I am sharing and a deeper part of me just sighs, because it knows I am following the flow I am intended t follow.  It just happens.  And I am not standing in the way! 

A Love of Learning/ A Need to Share

There is learning in this for me and there is learning for others.  Every experience we encounter in Life is a learning opportunity and as a natural educator, whether I like it or not,  I have no choice but to share what I learn from my own little life experience if I want to grow into the person I wish to be. If I want there to be more peace, happiness, joy, love, compassion and understanding around me, I have to start with understanding this version I call "me" and  I feel like I have to share what I learn. Of course, if it is too much for the reader to hear about my silly little woes, I understand too.  There is absolutely no obligation or expectation for anyone to read what I write. I am  just here to do the living, the experiencing, the learning,  the writing , and the sharing.  The rest I leave to a higher power. 

Signature Strengths

Anyway, ironically,  honesty/integrity, I discovered in a course exercise I recently completed ,  was one of my "Signature Strengths".   So...hey, I am just strengthening a strength I already have in me by writing so openly  here. lol. Surprisingly, the strongest strength I possess, according to this exercise I did, was perspective or  wisdom...followed by spirituality, Appreciation for beauty and excellence, a Love of Learning and then honesty.  I had thought, and maybe was hoping that "kindness", was on top of this list  as I ranked it highly on my own..but maybe I am not as kind as I would like to think I am.  Maybe it is not a signature strength but it is definitely a strength I want to build on.  Compassion and kindness are very important to me. I was surprised and impressed that "wisdom" was first.  Is that my ego? lol I would have also added creativity to which I did not see a category.  

The cool thing about these signature strengths was how integral they are to our  day to day  experiences as human beings. Character strengths are said to be signature is they are essential, effortless and energizing. A question that was offered by the prof (yes these are university professors offering this  course though I don't think it counts as a credit??) : "How would your Life be if you were no longer able to express these strengths? " 

What Life Would Be Like Without Them

I felt a knot in my gut with the thought of suppressing my creativity. That is why I was so sure creativity should be up there on my list of signature strengths. If I couldn't write for thirty  days I would go nuts.  I would be lost and floundering around on this planet with no purpose.  At the same time if I couldn't continue with my spiritual practice and my learning which are so intertwined, I would shrivel up I am sure. Appreciation for beauty is also something I need to express through my writing, poetry, photography and if I couldn't be in nature surrounded by all her shapes and colours for thirty days I would be crippled by deprivation. Yeah...I need these.  But perspective/wisdom?  I don't see that as something I need.  Don't get me wrong...truth and clarity and understanding are essential to my beingness...to all of our beingness, if we know it or not... and I am on the path to achieving them  but I don't see myself as wise, I guess, nor do I "need"  to be seen as wise...that would be ego. Anyway...it was a cool exercise.

Going to encourage you to check it out for yourself. 


VIA Institute on Character/ Dr. Ryan Niemic (May 23, 2012) What Are Your Signature Strengths?   https://www.viacharacter.org/topics/articles/what-are-your-signature-strengths

Been away from the college too long...don't remember the correct APA format for citing online journals. My bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment