Thursday, July 16, 2020

Understanding the Stressed Mind

This is a perfect universe.  There is no stress in it, only people thinking stressful thoughts.
-Wayne Dyer

Norman Vincent Peale's The Power of Positive Thinking may have been the  first self help book I ever picked up in the beginning of my search for a better understanding of how thought impacts our lives, but Wayne Dyer soon became my go-to. I have or read almost everyone of his books and meditation tapes, CD's etc I have even seen him in person. Ya... he was ( and is) a big influence on my life. I am very grateful for all he taught me and countless others. It was nice to tap into a little video of his teachings today as I ponder this idea of thought and how it influences our lives.

The Prison of the Mind

I see people I love suffering so much in self imposed prisons of the mind, weighed down by the heavy shackles of depression and anxiety and I feel so helpless. (When I say "self-imposed" I am not saying they are purposefully doing this to themselves...they are just so wrapped up in the habit of their pain[understandably] they do not see and even  actively resist that there is a way out.) I want to help but "I don't know" how.

Shot Down Suggestions

I offer suggestions, when they cry, "What do I do with all this emotion in order to feel better?" and the suggestions  get shot down before my sentences are even completed. " Yoga?"  "Meditate?" "Simple Mindfulness practice?"  "Body scanning?" "Read this , read that?"  "Breath awareness?" "Allow and accept the emotions?" "PMR?" "Exercise...just move teh body?" "Walks in the woods?" "Journal?" "Meditate?"  "Chart and reconstruct your thinking?" "Pray?" "Put it all on a canvas?"(one of my loved ones is an artist)"Ask for help?"  "Be kind to yourself and to your feelings....remove the judgment and the story?" "Gratitude journal...just find two things you are grateful for everyday and think about them, dwell in them for a moment or two?" "Do something or think something  positive for someone else?"  "Get out into a different environment for a few minutes once a week?" "Meditate?"  "Work on this BPD journal and this workbook I bought you?" " Sense awareness for present moment focusing?" "Dance it off to music for 10-20 minutes each day? "Meditate?"  "Do the opposite of what you feel like doing....known in DBT as "opposite action"? "Meditate?"  You probably notice that I offer the meditation suggestion quite often lol.  The resistance to that is sooo great right now.

Resistance: Emotional Mind Has the Reins

I get shot down again and again...even though I am just answering the  question. I realize that at the moment the question is asked...a part of them ( that old resistant ego/pain body) doesn't want solutions.  Sure the inner part of them wants freedom from the pain...but the habit mind takes over so quickly and automatically. The "emotional mind" is given the reins and after trampling all over "rational mind" it heads off into the deepest yuckiest place because it has become familiar. The pain seems to hide in itself, finding comfort there. It doesn't want to be exposed to light again.  (Well of course, "I don't know" anything...just assuming.) I would really like to understand this "resistance" element better because I see that as the real source of the problem??? hmmm.

Anyway...I feel so heavy and helpless after meeting up with this resistance (which can become quite sharp and aggressive) that I have to go and do many of those things on my solution list in order to cope with my own emotions in a compassionate and self loving way. And they help me...they really do.  These solutions work for me but that doesn't mean they will work for others.

When Rational Mind climbs Back On

To my loved ones credit...Eventually, if I wait patiently, I will see them doing things I had suggested previously .  They call me, when rational or wise  mind takes back the reins and they are no longer  wrapped in emotional mind, and tell me that I was right...that the suggestion they resisted so long is or does make them feel better. And I see them trying...doing the work of getting better, making progress.  I sigh in relief ,  until emotional mind is given the reins again...and off they go galloping by, calling out behind them as they pass me, "What do I do?"

And I will answer, between each slap of the reins, "Meditate?" "Yoga?" "Mindfulness practice?"....

Sigh...what else can I do?

I guess...on my part it is all about trust, trusting what Wayne Dyer refers to as the "essence of the universe",  which is cooperation and harmony.  Eventually, the sufferer may find a balance between these parts of the mind...cooperation and harmony, and thus a little peace and joy will follow.

All is well.

Just Motivation ( June 2020) Dr. Wayne Dyer's Life Advice Will Leave You Speechless...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIl2gCrSGnA

No comments:

Post a Comment