Saturday, May 6, 2023

Pulling the Threads Out in Yoga Class

 What is the best way to remove a veil? By pulling the threads out, one by one, until it exists no more. ......The mind is a veil woven of thoughts. It has no substance by itself. If we pull the thoughts out one after the other, when they have all been removed , there is no mind left. 

The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali Book II: 52, as translated by Swami Satchidananda

Whether we know it or not, we all want this busy, crazy-making veil of mind removed and meditation  practice  can help us do that. 

Not many people come to meditation class, but hundreds and thousands come for asanas and pranayama.

Hmm! I certainly don't have "hundreds and thousands" coming to my yoga classes but those that do come, come purely for the physical benefit of  the third and forth limbs of yoga: asana and pranayama (breath control.)  Yoga is viewed by western culture solely as a way to stretch and relax the body.  The next four limbs are a little too "woo-oo " for many students to accept,  even if it is what would benefit them the most. The true practice of yoga is not understood.  Many do not realize that  asana and pranayama were developed merely to enhance the practice of the other four limbs: pratyahara( removal of the senses), dharana ( concentration), dhyana (meditation), and ultimately Samadhi (mergence with the One). Western students do not want to go there in a yoga class!  Stretching and relaxing muscles is where many students want it to end. In fact, some find any reason they can to skip out prior to savasana. Those quiet moments of going inward are too scary for some.  They fear the "woo-woo part " of yoga.

 I  am also a certified meditation and mindfulness teacher.  I know though, that is the last thing people seem to want when they come to my classes.  I do not outwardly and obviously teach meditation in my classes for that reason.  It is offered subtly through both asana and pranayama. I try to incorporate the awareness  of breath with every asana...that is meditation and mindfulness.  I encourage and lead people to be aware of sensations in the body, and to relax into each posture.  That is meditation and mindfulness.  In savasana, we return to breath awareness again and the breath leads to awareness of the body section by section. I actually guide them through a body scan meditation...though I do not call it such. 

So though people do not tend to come to me ( I had one) for instruction on meditation and mindfulness, I do teach it in my classes.  I am introducing the students to the next four limbs. They just don't know it.  And the fact that I am a committed practitioner of  pratyahara dharana, and dhyana...maybe that rubs off a bit too, subliminally? I don't know. 

Anyway, breath control and awareness, especially,  has been taught by Patanjali to help remove the veil of mental darkness that hides our light.  When we focus on breath we are not focusing on thought and what is going on in our busy minds. One breath at a time...we pull away the strings of the mind veil until it is unravelled. 

Pranayama indirectly helps us to understand the Oneness, the never-changing One, becasue it removes the veil. 

I am helping my students do that even though I don't proclaim to be. 

All is well. 

The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali as translated by Swami Satchidananda (2011) Integral Yoga Publications: Yogaville. 

No comments:

Post a Comment