Monday, May 29, 2023

Listening to the Soul

 There comes a time in your path , your growth and your life where it is all about your freedom. You will reach a point where you will understand that nothing will feed your soul except  the soul itself.

Michael A. Singer


Heart: Hey Mind...I am hurting!

Mind:  Oh  I know Man.  This sucks! I can't believe he did that thing  we  didn't want him to do and that they didn't do the thing we  wanted them to do. I can't believe, our body did such a stupid thing! I can't believe this turned out the way it did. I can't believe life is being so unfair to "me" . Can you believe this happened?  Can you believe she said that?  I can't believe we  didn't get that thing that was going to make it all better...the thing that would make you feel so good inside. Oh you poor thing!! How you must be suffering from all that is happening.  I can't believe Life is such a nasty tease...giving us that other thing we wanted and then taking it away on us,  just when we were getting attached to it. And then it gave us  the other thing which  only fixed it in here for such a short time before not working anymore.   After all the time and effort I put in, to make it turn out the "right" way, it always goes "wrong", doesn't it?   Oh my dear, how are you doing in here with all this stuff that is bad, wrong and shouldn't be?

Heart: Like I said, I'm hurting! I am suffering in here Mind...big time!  It hurts so much Man. You gotta help me! Make me okay and quick!

Mind:  I can see you are suffering , my friend.  You know I want to make you feel better because when you feel better we both feel better.  ( Mind turns to the side a bit and whispers under its breath):.... and I can get at least  five minutes of peace from your incessant whining when I make you okay ..(turning back to Heart) So what do you want?

Heart: I  want you to help me fix it, of course, like always. Duh! You know I can't figure things out the way you can.  You are after all my voice! What do we do to make this better and for these terrible feelings to go away?  Tell me! Make me okay!!

Mind: Okay, okay! I will figure it out in a bit. I'm a bit busy right now trying to figure out the solution for the last time you came to me with your not okayness... like all of  fifteen minutes ago

Heart: Well hurry! I need you to figure it out ASAP ! This feeling sucks and I don't want to feel it for a second longer. Make me okay!

Mind:  Trust me, I am trying. I am just so freaking busy. Besides, I have to go back and check with the data I have stored over the years before I can come up with a solution to this problem. 

Heart: Well then go back. What are you waiting for?

Mind: Hang on...I'm going! Ummm...just a reminder...you know you have to close first, right? You can't let anymore in until I figure this out... right?

Heart: Of course! Of course!  I am not a nitwit! I am closed.

Mind: Okay.  Good, good! It is  going to take a bit of research. So you will have to hold on.  Will be back when I have something.

(A few seconds without any practical solutions  from Mind slip by. Heart is becoming increasingly restless and agitated in its discomfort!)

Heart: Helloooo! You still there?  I am smothering in here!! I need your help!! Make me okay!

Mind:  I know, I know! I'm thinking.  I'm thinking! 

A quiet voice in the  background hums softly in the sweetest of tones but neither mind or heart hear it.

Heart: Anything yet????

Mind: Yes (Mind says emerging from the depths of the past where all decision making data is stored) ..Have you tried using your inner hands to push it down in the dark where you can't see it.

Heart: Of course I tried that! That is the second thing I did after I closed.  I am not stupid. But the problem is there is absolutely no room in here anymore.  I am  full to the brim with the stuff I stuffed. I can't get anymore in. 

Mind: Hmm! What about if we get rid of that thing that tends to make you feel that way and make sure it never comes back? We will just have to bring it up to the surface so we can talk to it.

Heart: No.  I don't want to talk with that thing.  It is too scary.

Mind: Okay, then ...what if we trade this other thing in here for that out there.

Heart: No, I like this thing in me and I want to keep it.  It helps me sleep at night. It makes me feel safe.

Mind: Maybe if we try getting this other thing from out there...? 

Heart: No, we got that before and it only made it better  for a few days. It won't work this time.

Mind: Okay...what about if we do this....?

Heart: No, I don't like that.  Remember I tried something similar last week and ended up feeling worse?  No, no!  Give me something else, something I like.

Mind: Can we try this other thing then?

Heart: No! Definitely not doing that again. Terrifying!

Mind: What if we do this thing here...? 

Heart: Nope! Losing my patience Mind! 

Mind: Hmm! What about if you got that person over there to swear their undying love to you so they will be willing to do this  and be that for you, for the rest of your life. 

Heart: Hmm! Maybe....that might work. No, on second thought, I don't find that person attractive. Besides we tried this many times with many different people, remember? And each and every time they ended up doing something that made me feel bad or worse.

(Just then the voice in the background stops humming and gets louder)

Voice: Hello Heart...

Heart: (Stops and looks around, not sure where the voice is coming from)  Did you hear that? 

Mind: (pretending not to hear anything)  Let's stay on track and figure out what I can do for you. 

Voice: Oh Heartttt...I might have a solution.

Mind: ( Turning up the music in the foreground as to drown the voice out) Okay...let's see ...what if .....

Heart: Wait...wait...can't you hear that?

Mind: (Let's out a frustrated sigh!)Oh never mind that busy body.  Listen to me. I have the answers.  It doesn't know anything. It isn't even real.

Heart: Who is talking to me? (addressing the unseen voice)

Voice: Why, it is "I" my love.  "I" have many names but you may call me Soul

( Mind turns the music up even louder) 

Heart: Soul? Who are you and what do you want?

Mind ramps up the music to maximum volume... but Heart, wanting to hear this Voice, motions angrily  for mind to turn the volume down.  Mind has no choice but to obey.  

Soul: Yes, I am Soul. I want what is best for you...best for all of us.  I want us to be free of this suffering that keeps coming back in you. I have been observing you and Mind for a long time.  I have actually been trying to speak to you forever but you could not hear me over Mind's chatter.  I have a solution much, much better than minds. 

Mind: Hey! Hey! Watch it!!! I will put you back in behind that wall some quick. How did you even get out, anyway?  I put bolts on every door. 

Soul: Now Mind! You knew I was uncontainable  from the beginning .  The only thing that I needed to step out of the hiding place you stuffed me in was Heart's willingness to hear me. Looks like Heart might be willing to listen  now. 

Heart: (Turning to Mind) What? Listen to what? Who is this Soul ...Mind ...and what is going on?

Mind: Its nothing!! Absolutely no-thing. Don't listen...

Soul: Dear Heart...Mind has a hard time understanding who and what I am. It is a bit afraid of me and threatened that it will have to give up its managerial position to me. It likes being in charge. though it  was actually only  meant to be a tool to serve you, I and the body. Somehow it took charge of our life, by locking me away.

Heart: Are you saying I should be afraid of Mind?

Soul: No! No! Mind is naturally harmless and beneficial, with the intended purpose of helping us make sense of what comes  in to the body from the outside world. It also stores such data in sections of "Good", "Bad" and "Neutral". Though I do not like its way of filing information, I see that it means well.  It uses that stored data to make decisions in order to protect us and keep us safe. It is also the voice of you and I, through which we can communicate creatively.  Mind isn't "evil". It just got a little lost with all the demands placed on it and decided to take over  with the so called "problem-solving" which turned out to be more of a "problem- creation" than a problem solving. Wouldn't you say? Mind is here to help us both, but your reliance on it  gave it a bit more power than it could handle.  So it stuffed me in the background, built a wall of stuff over me and took over this life we are in. It is not doing a very good job driving . It is kind of steering our life into the ditch. That is probably why you seldom feel okay....you are driving with a maniac, hanging on for dear life.

Heart: What??? Where were you through all this reckless driving? Why did you wait until now...after so many years of suffering to make yourself known? 

Soul: Oh Dear Heart...I was always here, watching in the background behind the wall Mind built over me.  I was still able to observe everything you were going  through despite the barrier.  I just couldn't step up until you were ready...until you were fed up with Mind's way of doing things and willing to try something different.  I have always been here watching and waiting for you to be ready to hear me. 

Mind: That's Absurd!  Soul is such a liar. There is nothing back there.  Ask a scientist.

Heart: (looking towards Mind) I hear what I hear Mind. Please be quiet  so I can listen to Soul. (Turning back to address the unseen voice of Soul) What is the solution then?

Soul: The solution is freedom.

Heart: Freedom?

Mind: Don't listen to that crazy nut. There is no such thing as Freedom.  We are here to suffer and endure it the best we can.  I can help you get by and make it pretty cozy for at least a while...you know that. That Thing can't!

Heart: (continues to ignore Mind) Freedom from what...our problems? That is what I go to Mind for anyway.

Soul: No! Not freedom from your problems, challenges or pain...freedom from that which creates the problems.

Heart: I don't understand. Life causes the problems and if I free myself from Life we will be dead! 

Mind :  I told you not to listen.  That thing is crazier than a bag of hammers. 

Soul: Life and circumstances are not causing your problems.  Nothing out there can cause you to suffer...just like the solutions for your so called "problems" will never be found out there. 

Mind: That's crazy talk!!

Heart: ( ignoring Mind's attempts to interject) What creates the problems then?

Soul: Your reliance on Personal Mind.

Heart: Huh?

Soul: Like I said, Personal  Mind is not well.  It was taxed with a very challenging job and it took it all a bit too seriously.  It kind of broke under the pressure and it is not okay. But you, believing that it is okay and thinking it knows best, have until now asked  something that is not okay to solve your problems and you listened to its advice. You are beginning now to see how  that advice will get you nowhere but lost. It will give you nothing but more suffering. Right?

Heart: Maybe. But I need you explain more, please.

Soul: Mind, in its sincere desire to make you feel good, has taught you to look outside yourself for the answers.  It has convinced you that Life and all its varying circumstances is the source of your discomfort and pain ...and that external world events are responsible for your happiness or lack of.  The problem and solution  then, it taught, is out there.

Heart:  That is not the case?

Soul: No...with Mind's guidance, you have learned to prefer, judge, desire, and ended up resisting Life and what It offers. That made you  not okay inside. Instead of dealing with not being okay inside....you went around in big circles trying to find the source and solutions for your problems out there where they could never be found. Your reliance on Mind's advice, only made things worse. Mind told you that it wasn't okay that you sometimes felt less than okay inside. It promised to help you feel better  and you listened. Your resistance to feeling what you were feeling was the problem, not what was happening to you or around you. 

Heart: So Mind was not solving my problems, only making them worse.  What are you here to tell me then?

Soul:  I am here to tell you that it is is okay that you don't feel okay inside.  We don't need to fix anything out there. We just need to start with saying that it is okay that I don't feel okay inside.  Experience that feeling fully  because that is just as much a part  of Life as anything else. Unless you notice, accept and allow the not okayness...it will not be released.  It will be stuffed down on top of all that other stuff you stuffed. 

Heart: It is okay that I don't feel okay inside.  It is okay that I don't feel okay inside

Soul: Good

Mind: Oh come on...shut up already and lets get back to fixing your problems in the old way.

Heart: ( ignoring Mind) So will I ever be okay inside?

Soul: Of course you will be but becoming free involves a committed practice of stepping back and away from Mind. What you want to free yourself from is your reliance on Mind's instructions to resist what is.  If you step back to where I am, okayness will naturally arise.  The things outside do not have to change...but how you see them will. Come back with me and live from here. Don't think.  Don't analyze... just keep walking back to where I am and have always been. You will be more than okay back here where Mind cannot be.  Are you ready?

Heart: I think so but I can't see where I am going. I can't see you. I don't know what I will find there.

Soul: I understand your fear but when has avoiding  fear ever given you what you wanted. Trust me. Trust Life.  Take a step back.

Heart: I am afraid to feel all this stuff

Soul: I know...but it is okay. This stuff you have spent so much time resisting at Mind's direction was stored in pain so it will be released with some pain.  Brace yourself and keep walking back.  You can handle it! You got this.  The bigger stuff will naturally release itself once you start making your way to me,too. It was Mind that was holding stuff in you. Without Mind, those painful emotions will not stay.

Heart:  I don't know I am scared.  I am so used to Mind and maybe I should just do what we have been doing.

Mind: Yeah. Stop budding in Soul.  We were doing okay before you stepped up.

Soul; Were you? 

Heart: No we weren't Mind.  We were a mess.  I don't want to be a mess anymore. Hey Soul..make me okay?

Soul: Of course I will. Just keep walking backwards.  I am right here. You will soon know me.

Mind: (watching Heart leave to walk into the unseen arms of Soul). Ah Man...what is going to happen to me now with nobody feeding me???


You cannot feed your soul from out here...the only thing you can feed from out here is your mind. Michael A. Singer


That just came out of me after listening to:

Michael A. Singer ( May 28th, 2023) Give Up On The Old Way. https://tou.org/talks/

No comments:

Post a Comment