Tuesday, April 5, 2022

Evolving from Personality to Soul

 If I have a soul, what is my soul? What does my soul want? What is the relationship between my soul and me? How does my soul affect my Life? 


So I started with my deep dive into the book and so far I have yet to strike the bottom of a shallow pool...so that is good :) I feel resonate with much of the teaching...not because it is new and refreshing but becasue it simply taps into knowledge I have already assimilated within me. That leaves me embracing it, instead of resisting it.  So far.

Evolution? 

So chapter one speaks to the idea of evolution. Zukav compares our past reliance on understandings of physical evolution in competitive, Darwinian terms with our "  new age"evolution in spiritual terms.  Survival of the fittest mentality, he stresses, no longer fits (if indeed it ever did) with what we are here to do.  He is encouraging us to see that we do not have to put all our energy toward preserving our seemingly individual physical ( also our psycho social)  survival .  Our five senses, he tells us, are  simply there to help the body and the basic personality survive and they are limited in their ability to help us expand and evolve more.  We do not need to manipulate and gain power over  others, things and circumstances in our external world anymore.  This, he demonstrates with examples, leads to fear, violence, destruction, selfishness and unhappiness which is counter productive to our purpose here.  It goes against what we are here to do. Ego has been driving our vehicles for far too long.  It is important that we change drivers. 

Letting the Soul Drive

The new evolution of what he refers to as the "multi-sensory" personality takes us higher and deeper along the vertical plane of existence.  Our evolutionary goal, whether we accept it or not, is to  go beyond what can be seen with the eye or picked up with the other senses. We need to connect to the invisible, matter-less realm of the spiritual plane.  Here we let the soul, drive.  

To me the above question is the key to this chapter.  Do you believe you have a soul? (and I don't care if you call it by another name.)  He stresses that we need to see and distinguish these two potential drivers of our human experience: the personality and the soul. It is so important , he stresses, to get the soul and the personality lined up so they work together.  For so long the ego personality, (based on the needs of body/mind)  has been driving our human vehicles. In this new stage of our evolution, it is the soul that needs to direct us forward with love,  peace, compassion, wisdom  and reverence for Life.We now want the personality to take a step back and to serve the soul.

Hmmm!  Well that is what I got from the first chapter in a nutshell. I agree with all of it.  It resonates.  Does that make it "true knowledge"?  No... Read it and determine truth for yourself , k? 

All is well.  

Gary Zukav ( 1989/2014) The Seat of the Soul. New York: Simon and Schuster

No comments:

Post a Comment