Friday, April 8, 2022

Brahman is Truth

 


What is the truth? 

'I have nothing to do with sorrow, with actions, with delusion or desire. I am at peace, free from sorrow. I am Brahman' -such is the truth.

'I am free from all defects. I am the all,  I do not seek anything nor do I abandon anything. I am Brahman'-such is the truth.

'I am blood, I am flesh, I am bone, I am body, I am consciousness, I am the mind also, I am Brahman' -such is the truth.

'I am the firmament, I am space, I am the sun and the entire space, I am all things here,I am Brahman'- such is the truth. 

'I am a blade of grass, I am the earth, I am a tree-stump, I am the  forest, I am the mountains and the oceans, I am the non-dual Brahman'- such is the truth. 

'I am the consciousness from which all things are strung and through whose power all beings engage themselves in all their activities; I am the essence of all things, I am Brahman'-such is the truth. 

This is certain all things exist in Brahman, all things  flow from it, all things are Brahman; it is omnipresent, it is the one self, it is the truth. 

From: The Supreme Yoga: Yoga Vasistha as translated by Swami Venkatesananda; 1976/2010 Google Books:  https://books.google.ca/books?id=agWmPwAACAAJ&pg=PR7&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=2#v=onepage&q&f=false    Page 233


I found a translation of the Yoga Vasistha on line.  I am reading it now. I heard this today recited by Deepak Chopra during my meditation and I thought it was so beautiful I wanted to put it here. 

Who or what is Brahman, crazy lady? 

Brahman is a what, not a who. 

To understand this verse, we need to know what  Brahman is. Brahman is a Sanskrit word that can be translated to mean "that which never changes". It is the ultimate or absolute reality, binding everything in the world together as one. It is that which grows and causes other things to grow. In some traditions Brahman is said to comprise  both the individual soul and the cosmic soul. We are believed to be prevented from truly understanding Brahman through something called Maya: illusions based on our over identification with body, mind and ego. Yoga practice can help us get beyond this identification,  free ourselves from ego so we can truly connect with the ultimate of understandings that Brahman offers seekers. (Yogapedia)

Brahman, basically, is the truth we seek. It is everything. 

All is well! 

Yoga pedia ( July 2020) Brahman? https://www.yogapedia.com/definition/5274/brahman

The Supreme Yoga: Yoga Vasistha as translated by Swami Venkatesananda; 1976/2010 Google Books:  https://books.google.ca/books?id=agWmPwAACAAJ&pg=PR7&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=2#v=onepage&q&f=false   

No comments:

Post a Comment