Wednesday, May 17, 2017

On choosing a topic to write about

All you have to do is  write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence that you know.
Ernest Hemingway

I have been sitting here staring at this page for some time. I don't know what to write about.  Most times I write free flow and just let whatever is there to come out but sometimes I need a little organized thought to bring it out.  So I am going to start a topic selection process that I would use if I was writing a paper. 

Step 1:   Free flow of possible writing ideas.

I am guided towards writing more on wanting in a healthy way.   I do not think I am done with that yet. I want to explain what wanting  really is so people who consider themselves "practical-minded" can get a better grip on what I am saying. I want to build on this idea of taking the  doubt, that comes with life not going the way one wants, and  using the steps I previously wrote about to take us farther up the ladder.

 I want to write about not getting tripped up on words, how something is described or by whom.  Truth is the truth and it can get mangled to death with words or by putting too much attention on the messenger.. :)

  • I want to write about appreciation.
  • I also want to write about being absent of the need for the good opinion of others...which I realized,  with some valuable life learning over the last couple of days, I am not. 
  • I want to write about being aware of how we feel when we are around certain people...if we are our best selves or our worst selves and what that means.  
  • I want to write about walking peacefully and lovingly away from others when the time comes that we realize we are not our best selves when we are with them. 
  •  I want to write about accepting the fact that we may  not belong( in the external sense) to certain groups anymore because of growth, change, life circumstance and on how to find peace in it.  
  • I want to write about what one does when one realizes they really don't like people lol (or maybe certain people really do not like them) ... or what to do, at least, when they want to eliminate socializing as much as possible with other humans because they genuinely prefer the uncomplicated  company of four legged beasts.
  • I want to write about nature and the soothing hammock she offers for us to fall back into whenever we need a break from this world of form.
  • I want to write about photography and the power of light. 
  • I want to write about health and healing. 
  • I want to complain about this physical pain thing that keeps reminding me there is something I need to deal with.  I want to complain lol. 
  • I want to rationalize why I am the way I am through some big long story about my life.  I want to write about being a tragic victim to life.
  • I want to write about the learning...the amazing and never ending learning life provides us. 
  • I  want to write about it all.  :)
Then I ask myself...what would truly be of value for me and others to put down in words and what would be better off left unwritten? 

Step 2:  The Elimination Process

Let's then start with an elimination of topics that  will effect little change, be a waste of energy and serve little purpose except to bring me and others down.  What topics would be best left unwritten, and not focused upon? :
  • trying to convince the practical-minded critics to agree with me and my opinion. 
  • not liking people ...that is an ego self preservation reaction ...could be a funny read but not healthy
  • complaining of any kind
  • rationalizing  and explaining my beingness with personal history
  • anything to do with life being a tragedy and me being a victim

Step 3:   The Selection (the long list)

Next we will determine what are valuable possibilities
  • healthy wanting
  • the insignificance of words, delivery and the messenger
  • the value of appreciation
  • being absent of the need of the good opinion of others
  • awareness of how we "feel" around others and what to do about it
  • knowing when it is time to step back away from others to maintain our own good feeling
  • accepting and finding peace when we do not or no longer "fit in" somewhere
  • the value of stepping away from time to time from human contact
  • the healing power of solitude and nature ( which would include the company of four legged friends)
  • photography and light
  • health and healing
  • the joy of learning from life
Step 4: Grouping

Then we will clump the valuable possibilities into topics.  What in the ramble above fits together?

      a. healthy wanting
      b. the insignificance of words, delivery and the messenger
      c. the value of appreciation
      d. dealing with the social group
  • being absent of the need for the good opinion of others
  • awareness of how we feel around others
  • knowing when it is time to step back
  • accepting and finding peace when we no longer fit in or "belong" on the external level
  • stepping away from time to time from  human contact 
  • replacing socializing with nature and animal company often, occasionally, etc     
      e. solitude and nature  (could be a stand alone topic)
      f. photography and light
      h. health and healing
      I. the joy of learning from life.


Step 5:  The Final Selection

Then I determine what stands out the most:
  • Dealing with the social group stands out...more subtopics within it. I obviously have more thought regarding this topic direction than others because of the number of thought possibilities within it.  It is on my mind and in my heart...it is my one true sentence!
Step 6:  The Thesis

Come up with a thesis statement that combines all the subtopics:

Awareness is key in dealing with social groups during our awakening process.  We need to be aware of how we feel when we are around certain people; when we no longer belong or fit in to a social group because of the changes we are experiencing; and what to do about it.  Sometimes that doing involves stepping peacefully and lovingly away from a specific person or group  temporarily or permanently and often into the unconditional, soothing world of solitude, nature and our animal friends.

Okay...I know what I need to write about.

All is well.

No comments:

Post a Comment