Saturday, June 24, 2023

Wanting Something Different?

 

I do not know why it is the fate of the world always to want something different from what life gives them.

Gene Stratton-Porter 

I am glad readership is down again....my confusion during this dark night is challenging enough for this "me" to get through, let alone expect others to suffer through the reading of it. lol 

I am thinking about this idea of "healthy wanting" and if there is such a thing.

There has to be a balance, I think, between going after what we practically need as body and mind and  renouncing what we don't need as soul?  That is what is confusing for me.  I know desire and aversion are the two most basic hindrances to us getting to that deeper level of consciousness, where we really want to be whether we know it or not,  because they keep "me" active. As long as "me" is active , it is in the way of us going deeper.  At the same time...we do have bodies and the experience of "mind"living on this horizontal plane, don't we? There are certain survival needs to consider.  Singer tells us there are, however,  no psychological needs once we go deeper and understand , truly understand, nonduality.  That level of understanding requires a lot of practicing and learning and many of us won't get there before we die. A lot of our learning will come from challenge. I am okay with that . 

So on this journey there, is it not okay to lean a little towards the pleasant experiences of Life if we are given a choice...to maybe even want something different?  Sure we need to accept, allow, appreciate and honor every experience Life unfolds in front of us with as little judgement of "good or bad, right or wrong, should be or shouldn't be," as possible but do we have to sit there and passively accept the low energy of painful situations, without "doing" anything? Can we not do, what is within our power, to improve them so there is less "external" discomfort?   Without being dependent on things to be different, or becoming attached to outcome, can we occasionally attempt to make changes to our present set of circumstances and still stay on the path?  

We are also told that there are certain external experiences that help to open us to the experience of internal joy. Yes, peace, joy, love come from within and it should not matter what situation we are facing in order to experience them but...until we are fully enlightened, Life events can really have an impact on our energy, can't they? I can attest to that! So is there anything wrong with "seeking" outer experiences that can help open us to joy? 

Say for example, in the slump many of us find ourselves in during this dark night of the soul ...is it okay to seek more external light while we wait for the internal light to burn its way through, by , for example, going on a vacation in the tropics? We know that the tropical sun is not the cause of our joy, it just helps to open us to the joy that is within. Is it okay to want and ask for relief from external challenge?   Sure we do not want to be dependent on outcomes, or whatever happens out there, but is it okay to ask for an easier ride along the horizontal plane...or at least a break every now and again? Can we ask for more , and accept and appreciate at the same time, that what unfolds  has little to do with us as these little selves?  Can we say, "Thy Will, not "my" will,  be done but if it isn't too much trouble, do you mind adding a few joy-opening external situations to help keep this energy up until I master keeping it up on my own? It is okay if you can't, but if it is not too much trouble, I would appreciate it! That is, of course, if no other being is going to be negatively impacted by my joy-opening experiences now or in the future. "  Then I would add, "If that is not in the plan...could you help me open faster so it doesn't matter what is happening outside?" 

Both Selfish petitions from an unevolved mind,  are they not? I don't know.

Never mind me as I ramble.

All is well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment