Monday, June 26, 2023

Karma Yoga Daily Routine

 Karma Yogi-who is free from attachment, whose mind is fixed in Self knowledge, and who does work as a service to the Lord, merges  completely in the knowledge form as Brahman.

Bhagavad Gita 4:23


Okay...so I came up with a plan. Despite what I have written about getting beyond "To-Do Lists",  I created one.  This one is different than the list I would have written 7-8 years ago.  I used to be really good at creating  lists of things to do each day based on "me" achieving my external world goals. I was very much attached to outcome and my mind was fixed on what I, as "me", could achieve for self. It got me into a lot of trouble and stopped me from experiencing simply "being"...thus the article I wrote for Tiny Buddha years ago. 

My motivation and desire for outcome, however,  has changed dramatically since then. This list  is about how to achieve my inner world goals of Self-realization by simply keeping busy and getting out of the way of the process happening within me. I call it  "Karma Yoga Daily Routine For the Summer". Being that there will be no working outside the home to include on this list over the summer months...it will address what I can do ( what I haven't being doing enough of) around here to keep the mind busy while the healing  takes place within me. I am providing service to those who live in this house with me as well as to myself. I may advance outside the home if Life provides the opportunity but for now this is good enough. :) The  planned routine  will include my yoga practice, of course, as well as routine daily tasks.  It is based on the search I did to understand the daily routine of buddhist nuns in a monastery as well as the daily routine in ashrams. In both cases...spiritual development is the major goal. Hopefully, it will keep me committed and motivated enough to stop floundering around like a fish out of water...so I am not so lost in the mess created by  this dark night of the soul and am instead, showing up for my life.

I will share with you to help cement my commitment. So this is a breakdown of my daily routine:

  • 530: awaken and meditation
  • 0600-0630: Sun Salutations and mini hatha practice with kriya
  • 0630-0730: Tea/ study/listen/read..."spiritual" material
  • 0730-0800: Exercise: walk or something
  • 0800: Karma Yoga/ Offering Service: Pet feeding and care
  • 0800-0830: Breakfast for Fam
  • 0830-0930: Karma Yoga/ Offering Service: Blog
  • 0930-1030: Karma Yoga/ Offering Service: Write 1500 words in another potentially publishable project...something that will inspire and help others
  • 1030-1230: Karma Yoga/Offering Service: House work according to weekly plan
  • 1230: Lunch for Fam
  • 1300-1400: Karma Yoga/ Offering Service: Dishes and housework
  • 1400-1500: Karma Yoga/ Offering Service: Outside in nature: walk dogs, tend to garden or other
  • 1500-1700: Free Time...I will give "me" a bit of time etc.  Can spend this with "special" others until I am able to advance beyond the "special" . I will also make and drink a green smoothie at this time to nourish the body.
  • 1700: Yoga Nidra or kriya
  • 1730-1830: Preparation and supper ( going to leave the clean up to others)
  • 1830-2000: Karma Yoga/ Offering Service: Yoga Class or a creation of yoga video
  • 2000-2200: Free Time.  Again, I will appease the "me" with some Netflix or some reading or whatever.  Time spent with D. 
  • 2200: Shower  followed by evening meditation
  • 2230: Bed.  Can read for a while

Though it seems rigid and inflexible. I intend to make it anything  but rigid.  If Life hands me something other than what I have on my list to deal with...I will deal with that.  I have no problem straying a bit...as long as it is Life and not my resistant ego guiding me away from my Karma Yoga routine. That will be the tricky part.  I will have to constantly stop and ask, whenever I feel the pull away from routine, "Is this ego resisting or is it Life offering me another task? Would pursuing this be wholesome or unwholesome for my growth in the long run?" etc. 

I have, in the past, publicly professed that I was not a fan of to-do lists but I think that had more to do with the motivation and goal seeking my old lists involved.  Motivation and goals are completely different now.  My main goal is to just show up in Life as this process of healing and purification continues within me.  I want to stay busy and out of the way doing helpful things. My goal is not "success" in material world terms but in spiritual.  I want Self realization and that goal will be behind everything I do.   

All is well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment