Monday, October 5, 2020

The Struggle With Limiting Beliefs

 You begin to fly when you let go of self-limiting beliefs and allow your mind and aspirtains to arise to greater [deeper] heights. 

Tara Brach and other Great Teachers

Serendipity again! I was blessed with the showing up of another video from Tara Brach this morning to support what I was writing about yesterday.  What a wonderful, wise teacher she is.  Please check out the video below and support her site if   you can...just so that the site stays on line helping others especially at this time.  Don't get the wrong idea though, please.  I am not a promoter or a sponsor of anything to do with people making money for ego reasons! I do believe her reasons for doing what she is doing go beyond ego.  As do mine. (As you can tell by the fact that I do not advertise here or want or seek anyting akin to payment.)  

Supporting and Allowing The River to Flow

So when I make that suggestion to support, I am simply trying to support  sites that I access alot for my own learning and sharing here. Plum Village is a big one I would like to support. As part of Buddhist tradition an alms bowl, what the monks and nuns depend on to live,  is held out ever so graciously and undemandingly. Whether we support their livlihood or not, they continue to offer wondeful teachings on line. How long will they be able to give without receiving?  

Right now I am benefiting from the learning these sites offer,   more than I am giving  and supporting. I have issues with international payments, being that I don't  have a credit card and have no pay pal account...not to mention that I have little money, lol. I will find away, because supporting "healing", mine and the worlds, is something I feel called to do.   

When I get the little I get in terms of capitol, I try to give. What I have doesn't stay with me for long.  That is the way it is supposed to work, I think. Money is like water flowing to us, through us and onto someone else. We just kind of turn in the direction we want it  to flow. It will always make its way back to us again and again and again.  Sometimes it will be in abundant rivers; sometimes in tiny trickles but what we give always comes back. As long as we don't cling to it, damn it up so we have more...it will keep going around.  That is the way I see it anyway.

Anyway...the last thing I wanted to do was talk about  my trickling finacial situation or capitolism in any way, shape or form and here I come off like a hypocritical promoter or an advertiser! Forgive me.

Back to the Video 

The reason why her video was serendipitous for me was in how it related to my fear beliefs that were generating this reaction. so I will use the teachings she shared in relation to my own expereince.  Hopefully you can relate it to your own as well.

My Limiting Belief

In my having to deal with this helath issue again,  I mentioned yesterday how I was grouping a whole system together, closing down and not trusting.  Now there is  no doubt  that I had some nasty experiences with the  egos of others that got in the way of their professional role and my health  seekinge experiences did not always  go smoothly..for sure. But the cause of the suffering I have and do endure has more to do with this deep limiting belief I have entangled around my psyche's core...than it does with whatever happens on the outside of me.  In fact, I am seeing how this belief is actually leading to or aggravating external situations in this direction. 

I have a very sick belief that has been with me most of my life that I do no not deserve appropriate attention, help and support when it comes to wellness. That there is something wrong with me, and I should be ashamed, when I ask for it from the very busy and somehow "superior" beings who can give it to me. 

"Real but not Truth"

As much as that makes me kind of gag as I write it, it is the truth...well the "The real but not truth!" that I subscribe to. I know where it comes from.  Sadly, it is almost as much a part of me as my beleif in God. It is not just a part of my  mind but it is in every cell of my body. So I am vibrating with  fear and shame whenever I walk through the health care system's door. It is from there that I operate. Obvioulsy that is going to effect the way I present as a patient,  what I recieve and how I deal with it.

Ego...is on a consatnt search for evidence to support this idea and it finds it...there is enough  real evidence out there.  If it can't find it, it creates it or exaggerates the minor things.  It collects, accumulates and adds up all the findings to prove this to me...so I stay fearfully and shamefully chained to this awful belief.  It appears so real but it isn't true.

It isn't true becasue it is just a thought in my head, a concept and idea. It is not what is.  It is not the air entering my lungs, or the blood gushing through my heart.  It isn't the feeling of being alive, here and now .  It isn't who I am! It isn't my essence...it isn't Love. It is just a thought. Sticky, tenacious and powerful...but just a thought.  

Tara Brach offers some powerful tips to unhooking ourselves from this belief. She calls this R.A.I.N.

  • First we need to recognize and  notice what we are thinking and how that is impacting our lives in very unskillful ways. 
  • At the same time we need to see how that it is just a thought not reality...not truth "Real but not truth"
  • Then we need to accept that we are doing this, feeling this, believing this.  Allow it for now
  • We investigate it further: Where did it come from? How long did I beleive it? How is it effecting my life? What kind of life did it lead me towards? How much suffering did it cause? We feel the sorrow of what we lost, what we suffered through because of this belief. 
  • Then we nurture it and ourselves.  We don't beat ourselves up for it.  We didn't decide to believe this...we were taught, conditioned and trained to believe this. At this point we ask what it is we need to feel presence and Love right now? We give that to Self or we seek a real or spiritual embrace from another. We nurture ourselves.
After this is done, we ask the most profoundest of questions: What would life be like if I didn't think anything was wrong with me? 

Wow! That is a question we should all ponder over daily regardless of our deep limiting beliefs, don't you think. 

Maybe someday soon, I will get back to you with my answer. 

All is well! 

Tara Brach ( Sept 23, 2020) Freedom From The Prison of Limiting Beliefs  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gjCN-pB-WM

No comments:

Post a Comment