Monday, September 10, 2018

Effortless Effort

If effort is needed by all means make some effort.  Or as my teacher used to say, 'effortless effort.'  Just don't mistake effort for struggle, for struggle is simply wasted effort.... The call of the heart never confines itself to the mind's ideas of whether effort is necessary or not. It follows the impulse  of silent intuition which is so much better aligned with what the moment dictates.-Adyashanti (https://www.facebook.com/adyashanti.org/posts/%E2%80%9Cif-effort-is-needed-then/479382369093604/)

What type of person are you: one who puts effort into Life or one who doesn't?

Do you feel the pressure to get things done?  Are you constantly planning what to do next?  Are you living by a mile long to do list?  Do you have your head down, your tongue out as you clench your jaws in determination to fix things, do, accomplish?  Do you subscribe to the axioms, "Don't pain no gain!" or "Just do it!" Do you believe pushing with   determined effort is the only way to have a meaningful life?

Or

Are you a couch potato...laying back with your feet up as you wait for Life to drop all its bounty on your lap? Does  your misconstrued version of "The Secret" and other teachings on manifesting fill you with relief..."Man...I don't have to do anything ...I just have to put my wishes out there and sit back with my arms open. I will get what I need."

Both and Neither

I often wondered which one of the above categories  I fell into.  I am often in the top description. When I say I am going to do something...I go all out without a break usually until it is done.  I work hard...I put my nose to the grind stone and regardless of symptoms I will do whatever I can to finish what I start.  This mind set has often got me into trouble.  I am great to have on a project or team...that is until I start collapsing all over the place and end up good to no one?

I also wonder if I belong to the second description. There are some things I do little of now...and will literally close my eyes to.  Housework. Blah!  It seems like just a repeated  waste of precious energy.  And now that I have stepped away from any semblance of being a productive member of society ...I feel very much like a "lazy"  couch potato at times.

I thought I was both a person who believed effort was the way to achieve and at the same time someone who was lazy and waiting for the universe to provide.  The thing is I am both...or neither...I am somewhere in between.  I am someone who subscribes to the idea of effortless effort

Effortless Effort

Effortless effort, according to many of the masters, is not a lack of action nor is it a struggle to do.   It does not require thoughts of action that are  loaded with should, have-tos and must, or "gotta get this done." It does not create worried tension over what to do next.  It is not  a doing that drains precious energy.

Effortless effort is action that is simply inspired action.  Action that stems from Grace and is filled with ease. Rather than being  born of conditioned beliefs and societal pressure to conform, it comes from a silent space within where all Wisdom flourishes.

I like to be doing that that feels right to the heart and to the soul...that serves me and the world in some way...that allows me to feel authentic and true. And I like to be still, and quiet in the moment.  I am learning to listen when I am still to the quiet voice of inspiration that leads me to certain action.  I prefer not to struggle or to waste any of the energy I have left...it is like gold to me. I  do not want to "waste my effort" any longer.

So I do but I do what flows from me with ease.  I do what brings joy and peace to me and the people I love.  I do what my heart calls me to do and I try to put struggle and  my minds ideas of what to do aside.

I want my life to be full of effortless effort.  What about you?

All is well in my world.

No comments:

Post a Comment