Sunday, June 4, 2017

What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have never been discovered.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Save the dandelions! Save the dandelions!

I have a hard time killing dandelions. 

I have become the black sheep of my neighborhood for many reasons lol (four at least...my dogs)  but I have discovered recently, the new reason of contempt is because I do not keep my yard up  the way the neighbors feel I should. That is true...my yard is not as green and as perfectly tended as many of theirs. I have crab grass, clover and a host of yellow headed creatures popping up all over. 

I do not always use my limited energy reserves to rake up leaves, trim the hedges or take part in other routines of upkeep. I also refuse to use fertilizers on my lawn  though I know they want me to so the "weeds" do not spread into their yards and destroy their perfectly appearing lawns.

I know they put a lot of effort into maintaining these appearances and it shows. Their yards look so nice.  They are proud of them as they probably should be.

 I, however, think differently. I understand that the consequences of  my own physical limitations and belief systems interferes with those efforts and tarnishes what could be viewed as a perfect community. 

Still, I only have so much energy and I will not use it on creating appearances that are not so good for the environment in the long run. At the cost of other judgment,  I let nature be nature.  I willingly accept the role of black sheep in my decision not to use use chemicals  in fear of what such destruction does in the long term. 

In short, I do not like to kill dandelions because I see how the bees and butterflies are attracted to them.  The population of bees especially, in my yard has seen a tremendous decline over the last couple of years and that concerns me. When my lawn is yellow...I see more bees and butterflies. 

I do mow...I know I have to...but I will not destroy something that does so much good because it is labelled as "imperfect" and "unsightly".   I am accountable for that and accept the ostracization that follows.  (I feel like a Green Peace revolutionist from the 60's... instead of whales I  am putting my boat between the dandelions and the harpoon of the Weedman lol). 



The neighbors may not approve of my decision. Gossip, negative opinion, judgment, assumption, bold faced lies, drama and over exaggeration using fear as the tactic spreads more quickly through a neighborhood than dandelions ever could.   I do not blame them for their opinion.  I am far from the perfectly conforming neighbor.   I will not own their opinion of me  though. They are entitled to it.  I will accept it and accept my accountability for the truth that lie within it.    It is I that does not wish to conform to the values. of the majority...they do not need to conform to mine. 

I would suggest, however, a little human fertilizer to tame the righteous judgment and anger, we are unknowingly spewing, into a more manageable population of truths ....for all of our  sakes.  Compassion feels so much better to the soul than judgment and a desire for revenge ever could.

Why do we Discriminate?

In truth though, I do not know why we discriminate so...even in the plant world.  Does nature see the dandelion any differently than she sees the prized winning rose in some one's flower bed?  I don't think so.  They serve the same purpose as far as she is concerned.  I bet she sees both as equally beautiful creations.  :)

I also believe she has a special mission designed for our busy little yellow headed friends.  I think she makes these flowers we call "weeds" so abundant to compensate for the damage we are doing to her insect populations.  It is us humans who fail to see the value in life and destroy and discriminate against her gifts. The dandelion has virtues we have yet to discover.

All is well in my world.


No comments:

Post a Comment