Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Now it is time to sit quiet, with thee, and to sing dedication of life in this silent and overflowing leisure.
Tagore

I absolutely love the poem, A moment's Indulgence.  I think it says so eloquently what sits within my heart.  I, too, want more time with God...in silence, in peace, absent of the need to do and fill my day with "endless toil".  I want my heart to sing of the preciousness of life  this moment offers  while the world around me plays beautiful music "in the court of the flowering grove". 

I always feel good when I read this poem.  No matter what is going on around me or in me...I read that and I smile. (I wonder though if he meant to write "quiet" instead of "quite." lol...I am kind of hoping he did ...because if a beautiful poet like Tagore can goof up every now and again, I don't feel so bad about my many goof ups.  Of course, he probably wrote it in Bengali...so my theory has holes as does my need for redemption through the errors of others lol) ) 

His words make me think about how precious every moment is and how we should live each one like we do not know if we will ever see the next one.  If you thought your time was running out, would you not want every moment to be full of  overflowing leisure?  Would you fill it with more endless toil or would you sing dedication of life?  Would you want peace or a sense of productivity?



As I have mentioned before I often feel like my time is running out.  I am not focusing on illness or death obsession as I write that...I just have this feeling that all I have is now.

 My sense of urgency in embracing the now may not be coming from some eerie forewarning of the upcoming demise of my body but actually be a symptom of my "waking up".  As I wake up I begin to see that...yeah...all there is is now. 

The past is past...never to be lived again and the future...never comes.  If I spend each moment trying to rectify what I experienced yesterday or project all my life happiness on what will come tomorrow...my life will be full of endless toil...won't it?  If I spent this moment in silence...mindfully...looking around at all I see...hearing all I hear...feeling all I feel...would I not be singing a song of life?  Would I not be experiencing God?  Would I not be truly living?

So many of get lost in "work" and our egoic need to be productive.  Work can be a wonderful thing ...it can be a great expression of who we are, especially if we are passionate about what we do.  We often need to work to survive...so I am not saying "Don't work" and either is Tagore.  Far from it. 

What is implied  in the poem...is to take a moment...this moment...right now and embrace the life that is waiting in it.  Don't get lost in your work.  Indulge yourself in the summer waiting outside your window with all its beautiful sighs and murmurs.  Live mindfully.  Live now.

On that note, lol, I am ironically off to work.

All is well in my world.

No comments:

Post a Comment