Thursday, March 9, 2017

Then Jesus called the crowd to him once more and said to them, "Listen to me, all of you, and understand.  There is nothing that goes into you from the outside which can make you ritually unclean.  Rather, it is what comes out of you that makes you unclean."
Mark 7: 14

Unclean?

It is not the thoughts and teaching we put into our practice that makes us "unclean" but what we put out there: the thoughts, words and behaviours  that may hurt others.

I had a conversation last evening with someone I love about meditation.  This person is a born again Christian who  believes the only way to heaven is through accepting Christ as the only Saviour. She will openly admit that all the Jewish people in the world, the Hindus, the Buddhists and those of any other religious affiliations (including baptized Catholics like myself) who do not loudly acclaim, in front of a congregation before death, that they have accepted Christ as the only Saviour will be condemned to hell in the after life.

She is not alone in her belief. There are many people who believe this , including family members of mine. Though it is far from my belief...I do not see it as the "wrong" way to believe nor do I see it as the only way to believe. I respect  her point of view. 

I see how this dependence on  Christ as the only way  has helped others in the world  overcome addiction  and life altering tradegies...so I accept it (though I will often find myself arguing that God is Love and will accept us all)...but that, of course,  is usually met with resistance and deemed "New Age nonsense."   So I have learned to zip my lips and let her express her belief without offering my own. 

Meditation a way to the Unclean?

Last evening we were talking about ways she could improve her sense of well being and her life.  (She has not made very healthy choices in the past and continues to make unhealthy choices which she is not ready to discuss in any way.) I mentioned meditation, yoga, and other ways of sitting still and going inward ...and the fear just shot across her face.  "Oh No!  I do not believe in those things. You let in evil when you go there."

Instantly, I became defensive.  I thought ...I practice meditation and do yoga .   Is she saying that I, like all the millions of people who practice this, am letting evil in and is she now fearful of me as a vessel of evil? I thought of the choices she has made over the years that have unintentionally caused so much suffering for her and others...and thought...she is not afraid of that as a potential source of evil as she knows it...but she is afraid of stillness and silence. Does that make sense?  I responded with :  "Prayer is meditation"...do you let the devil in when you pray?" She quickly changed the subject.

Resisting Resistance

Even though, I knew how she thought, I was taken a back when she said that and that activated an emotional response in me.  I resisted her fear resistance.  I became afraid of her fear. I became outwardly defensive and in turn attacked her belief system.  I judged.  Though I can see where her belief gave her great peace at times...it obviously also offered very strict conditions.  Those conditions were wrought with fear based on a principle of  selective inclusion and rejection. Things I do not prescribe (man...I cannot get ascribe/prescribe/subscribe straight in my head lol...'ascribe"  to). There was clearly a lot of "evil" in her belief system and protecting self from that seemed to be the motivating force not so much doing, being and feeling good.  She was saved but  still living a life of "suffering".  How saved is that?  Is that what Christ intended for us? 

The Need To question our Beliefs Beyond Fear

This conversation was meant to happen. 

I was considering my own belief system as you know by previous entries. (That is why I am writing about this here and now...otherwise I wouldn't share this.)  I even mentioned how such reaction can lead to doubt in me.  I must confess...it did. 

For a brief moment during this conversation... I felt like a "sinner".  My  pre-conditioned ways of thinking from my own strict religious upbringing got triggered. I was brought up not to question the priest or the scriptures.  I was taught it  is the way it is simply because it is the way it is.  I was told over and over again by well meaning teachers the Catholic church was the only church...it was the chosen church started by Peter.  All other churches, even if they were Christian, were rejected.

I was taught it was a sin to think for yourself when it comes to religion, to reinterpret  or practice in anyway beyond the rituals and sacraments of the church.  I was taught about hell...let me tell ya....and I was taught about sin.   I don't know though where my greatest fear lay...in this idea of the devil or the idea of a  God who condemns, punishes and selects only a few worthy people? I was taught to fear both. No wonder why I was so messed up? 

I read the bible more than once...the gospel many, many times...there is great wisdom and truth in those scriptures.  I gladly follow the teachings of Christ but can I prescribe(ascribe!) to a belief system that punishes, condemns, selects only a few and is so wrought with fear... any longer? Can I say I am worthy of Heaven because I belong to a certain belief system and all those who think differently are not?  No...I can't. I can't. 

I open myself to all religions now...I study them, I seek the beauty in them, the wisdom, the One truth that exists in all scriptures but somehow got forgotten because of this focus on  "separateness."

I believe!  I am a believer!  But I don't believe or practice the way I was brought up to practice anymore.  What I put in to me from the outside differs, I do not want "fear" in my practice for I see no place for it  what so ever.  I want "Love" and joy and peace.  I want faith and trust.  I want stillness and silence.  I want inclusion of all. I am not sure what "evil" means anymore but I am quite sure you will not find it where I am.  I am doing my best to ensure that what comes out of me is clean.  :)

All is well!

1 comment: