Wednesday, March 8, 2017

About this blog

Do what you love.  Know your own bone; gnaw at it; bury it; unearth it; and gnaw at it still.
Henry David Thoreau

I come here everyday.  Some times I am here for a few minutes and sometimes I am here for hours but I come here everyday.  I share something.  I am completely honest and authentic when I do.  I pour  my version of truth  onto the page.  I do this ritual every single morning.  And for what? 

In my mind I do it for whomever may be reading but truth is I don't know how many readers I have...it may be only two.  Even when the stats show I hit a number as high as 50 I question if they are just registering  my own views of my  blog on  days I am reviewing what I wrote; if it is some ploy by the site to make me stay here by deceptively showing me readers who do not exist; or maybe it is some random reader who goes on a one time "waking up" binge after accidently hitting my page,  that makes the stat numbers spike a bit.

I really don't know if people are reading this. I am hoping that at least a couple of people are following and gaining something from this but I really don't know if they are.

So there really is no external compensation for my being here. There are no magical numbers twinkling across my site telling me I hit 1000 readers, let alone 100,000, to puff my ego up.  I don't have the readership other bloggers get.  I do not get praise and recognition for what I do.  I do not even get comments. I have no idea, whatsoever, how my writing impacts other people.  There are no performance appraisals or feedback.  I do not get paid.  This morning ritual is not furthering my career. in any way  It won't look good on a resume  (My topics are a little too off the wall to put this blog on a CV for agents) . 

So why the heck do I feel the intense desire and need to come here everyday?  Why do I do what I do?

I do it for the reason we all should be doing what we do...for the sheer joy of it.  I do it because I love to.  The moments spent here are  the best and, what I consider to be, the most productive part of my morning. 

Many mornings,  I find myself perched on the end of my seat, my back erect, my muscles completely engaged and with this intensity I cannot fully understand  coming from every cell of me.  Time passes without my conscious awareness.  Things can be happening around me but I am only partly aware of them.

I feel like I have some important learning to share and I want nothing more than to share it. What better way to share it than with the magic of words.  I love stringing words together in different chains and different patterns creating something that was nothing but  a little thought in my head before it hit the page.  

I am so intent on what I am doing in these moments...on what I am feeling.   I am in the moment when I am here.  I have purpose.  I have passion.   The writing feels  effortless.  It pours from me  and I always feel a tremendous relief when I complete an entry.

 "There!  My work is done!" I say to myself with a smile on my face and a big sigh.  I get up and walk away...excited in knowing that tomorrow I get to do it all over again.

Writing  is my work...whether I am paid for it or not; recognized for it or not at this time... it is my work.  It is my purpose, my play, my passion and my bliss.  How then...could I not show up here everyday?

I am confident that the way I feel about this that I do...will translate into a readership someday...a readership of like minded individuals who gain support, guidance,  insight and wisdom if not joy from what I offer.     But heck...if I feel joy...won't the world someday feel it too? If I feel joy, does it not mean that what I have to share, is worthwhile and of value?  Hmmm...

I think I will be guided somewhere along the way on how to increase readership and maybe then I will be more motivated to do so.  (Truth is...I do very little to gain external compensation, simply because I get so much intrinsically just from being here). 

Yet I am a writer and writers need readers in order to complete the cycle.  I am an educator and educators need students in order to complete the cycle.  In some small way, at least, I am a healer, and healers need people who need healing in order to complete the cycle.

 I would like to complete the cycle.  :)

All is well in my world.

1 comment: