Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Are You A Martha or A Mary?

 "Martha, Martha", Jesus answered.  "You are upset and worried  about many things but few things are needed-or indeed  only one.  Mary has chosen what is better  and it will not be taken away  from her." 

Luke 10:38-42 NIV

In another Eckhart Tolle video that I listened to today I was reminded of the familiar parable in the bible where Jesus visits the home of two sisters Mary and Martha.  While Martha was scurrying around trying to prepare lunch and serve her guests, Mary chose to sit at the feet of Jesus and listen to what He had to say.  She chose presence and being over doing.  Martha, frustrated with her sister, went to Jesus and asked Him to tell Mary to help her with the busy work. He responded by telling her that it was Mary who was doing what was important...or should I say,  her "not doing" was more important than Martha's doing. He, was of course, speaking to the busyness much of us get lost in and how difficult it is for us to simply sit and be.  

Tolle, in the below linked video,  teaches that we have needs and intentions in our lives, some are of  secondary importance  and some , well "one" is primary. What is of primary importance is our pure awareness of who we are, of what "heaven" is.  It is our being that is of primary importance , not our doing.  Mary, was attempting to reach that place of pure awareness that Jesus was teaching about  by simply "being there" and  listening.  Martha, on the other hand, lost in  her  busy mind of upset and worry, lost in her busy doing,  was putting all her energy towards that which was not so important. 

Where are you putting your energy?

In terms of manifesting what is it that you want to manifest...the rewards of doing or the rewards of being? Are you seeking what is of primary importance or that which is of secondary importance? 

My ego wants to redeem me, sometimes, from this place of insufficiency and inadequacy which has been aggravated by my present set of circumstances.  (I dream constantly about going back to work in the real world...about achieving that sense of social recognition, stable income and productivity again... of returning to my Martha like state. ) Ego has a hard time accepting that that part of my life is over so it turns this need "to do" , to "achieve"  in another direction. It wants to accomplish that feeling of "worldly fulfillment" by using that which comes so naturally to me, that  which is more about who I am than what I do- my writing. Ego is attempting to redeem this injured sense of self through some form of writing success ( success in superficial terms ). Hmmm! 

When I stop and think about it, I know that worldly success is truly  not that important to me .  The most important thing in my life, right now, is learning like Mary did, going deeper and discovering who I really am beyond all these ideas of "me", beyond my thoughts and aspirations. I do not need to fulfill my ego...I need to fulfill my being. 

Hmmm!  All is well in my world.

tech community world/ Eckhart Tolle (March, 2022) Concious Manifesting 2022 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UPdk4Y0p4M


No comments:

Post a Comment