Sunday, November 28, 2021

"Other" as a Referring URL

 

Successful blogging isn't about one time hits, it is about building a loyal following over time.

David Aston from: https://www.incomediary.com/bloggerstop-blogging-quotes/ 

Hmm!  I would love to have a few loyal readers just so I knew that this message was getting out there, that I was connecting on some level, that what I was doing here had purpose. My Stats page shows that I might have  a loyal reader who comes as "other" on the referring url and often as "other" reader. But at the same time, I don't know what "other" means and my ignorance leaves me a little uncomfortable. 

So, "other" from the US  using the Safari browser on a MacIntosh has just tapped into an entry with the poem I wrote on this blog in February, 2019 that I entitled "You Are". I hope this "other", whomever he/she/they are/is,  got something from it.  I hope this little poem  acted as a pointing finger for them; that it  "helped" in some small, miniscule way to take them a bit farther on their journey, to help them see a bit clearer who they may  be...like it has helped me. 

Who is this "other"? Do I need to know? 

"Other" shows up more than any other url lately. I am not quite sure what that means.  I don't know who this "other" is, nor do I need to know. I don't know if it is one person  showing up consistently or many  showing up randomly, that fit under this umbrella of "other". I don't know if they are people or bots. If they are people, I don't know their story/stories and why they come to this page.  I don't know if they are actually reading what I have here or if they have other motives.  If they are reading, I don't  know why and what they are geting from it, if anything.  

I also don't know why I feel a little ill at ease when I see "other" as the  referring url. I definitely don't need or expect people to give up their privacy, if that is what they need for whatever reason. I understand and respect that.  My ego has shrunk enough over the years that I don't depend or expect comments either, (though I appreciate those  comments received...thank you) .  I write to write, to do what I feel somewhat called to do. I don't need people to "like" what I write. And I don't really need to know "who" my audience is.  So why do I feel a bit of unease with "other"? 

I just do not understand the "referring url", search engines and internet traffick very well.  I am not sure what "others"  might potentially gain from referring others to my site, what could happen to the content on this site.  I just don't know.  As long as I know someone is visible in regards to their url...the conditioned part of me  feels a little less uneasy. It is like I can see their faces as I walk with them into the bank.  With "other" I feel like I am walking beside someone with a ski mask on...you know? 

If changes have not been made on the editorial end of this blog from time to time, maybe I would not have that same unease with "other".  If I understood more about analytics on the stats page, maybe "other" would have no meaning to me.  I sometimes  feel, maybe, that  "my" ( whatever that means)  writing security and privacy may be at risk. Whatever that means?  And I do not want to point to "other" as the potential threat.  "Other"  may be no more than a few people who don't want their identity exposed through an exposed url. ?? 

Please if you are "other" and you are sincerely getting something from this, know that you are so very welcome.  Also know that I am not asking you to expose yourself or comment. I am grateful for your readershp just as it is. I just hope you can understand my confusion and concern without taking it personally.

All is well!

No comments:

Post a Comment