Thursday, November 4, 2021

On Poetry

 

If I feel physically as if the top of my head were taken off, I know that is  poetry. 

Emily Dickinson

Been thinking about the poetry I write here and elsewhere.  I, serendiptiously  came across read entries from today's stats page  that speak to my thinking of poetry.  Hmm! The universe is thinking of my poetry too? lol

I need to get some chap books together and out there.  The thing is...I really do not kow how to do that.  I do not judge my poetry as possibly publishable or as definitely not publishable.  I am pretty sure a lot  of it, by other opinion,  sucks and some of it is okay. I do not know though what is good or bad...what I should include and what I shouldn't...what I should edit and how I should edit it in order to get it published.  I do not write for the "literary judges" out there.  I don't know what they want and to be honest...I really don't care.  I do not want to put my limited time and energy there. At the same time...I do know that writing is for others.  I need readers if I am being called to write.  I don't know how to get readers.  I really don't. 

I don't think I solve problems in my poetry: I think I uncover the problems

Margaret Atwood

This blog is easy...feel the pull to write and I have the medium for doing so with at least a few readers to receive what I write. I do not have to go through that long and horrid process of submitting lol in order to complete the cycle.

It would be cool to have a trusted and knowledgeable somebody to guide me and teach me...in this submission process for all the genres I write in.  I guess they are called agents but in order to have an agent you need a pretty impressive publishing history and to get an impressive  publishing history you need an agent lol. 

I also need money...a "job" that pays me so I can pay the bills, buy some things for my grandchildren, help my kids out and just eliminate some of this chronic financial worry I have been experiencing ...at least, until I am completely enlightened and serene enough to be undisturbed by money woes. Working on that one.

There is a reason why poets often say, "Poetry saved my life," for often the blank page is the only one listening to the soul's suffering, the only one registering the story completely, the only one receiving all softly and without condemnation.

Clarissa Pinkola Estes

Imagine talking about writing ( especially poetry) and making money in the same breath lol. Those two do not go together, do they? 

Anyway...it is all good.  I will figure it out.

All is well in my world. 

Quotes from: read poetry https://www.readpoetry.com/poets-on-poetry-15-quotes-on-writing-poems-and-craft/

No comments:

Post a Comment