Sunday, August 1, 2021

Sharing Our Stories

 

There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.

Maya  Anegelou 


I know I have really been letting my version of  truth out all over this page...sharing what others would tell me I should never share so openly. Yet, it just feels so natural to do so here.  Why is that? I come to this page, any page, and truth almost demands to come out.  I like truth and I value honest expression.  

I also do not want to "hurt" anyone.  I weigh my need to express truth with any potential damage it may cause. I am okay if it points a bit at ego, (mine or someone else's) waking up the Something underneath...as long as it is not done to strengthen an ego, especially mine! 

I have spoken to the people involved  about my concerns...I was gentle and kind but honest, as I have in the past.  (That..never really led to change) . Other times, I was not so gentle or kind in my truth letting...and that was not affective in creating change either. Sometimes, others just do not hear our truth when we speak it because their egos won't let them.  It is hard to talk through an ego especially if it is dense with pain, desire or need. We can easily become quite frustrated with our inability to "get through" so we shut down talking directly to those who need to hear. When we shut down this communication, the energy that surrounds the need to communicate, doesn't go away. It can build up inside us in a sense of defeat and hopelessness, confusion, frustration, self deprecating self talk etc. (That is the situation I have been in and it is churning a hole through my gut.) We can continue to deny that need to communicate or we can find another means to do so. Honoring that need, I chose to  come here.  

An Open Book

My life is an open book because it is just a story...a collection of past experiences, relationships, choices, actions, consequences and external events that led me to this moment. This version of "my" Life is just a way that "Life" is being blown through this little clump of flesh and mind that I call "me". I made a story out of it by putting all the pieces together in some mental narrative.  Why not share it like any author would do when they published? Especially if it can help others to see the insignificance of their own stories? Why not look deeply into the mind and the stories it creates, come to understand the egos disquised as characters that we focus on...why not share its "insignificance" in every way except its ability to open up our eyes to what is really important? Why would I treat my life story  like it was some precious secret that needed protection?  Protection from what? Other stories, other minds are writing?

As long as ego is not gaining anything from it and no other beings get hurt...(Egos may get bruised...ultimately the truth only stings the fragile ego)...I will share what I learn from my story.

It is all good! 

It is important that we share our experiences with other people.Your story will heal you and your story will heal somebody else. When you tell your story, you free yourself and give other people permission to acknowledge their own story. 

Iyanla Vanzant

No comments:

Post a Comment