Thursday, August 5, 2021

Savitri's Promise

 Savitri's Promise

Shall I dance for you Yama, 

to show you that I care? 

Shall I sing out my loving praise for you 

into the quiet air?

Shall I lay my head upon your lap, 

and faithfully close my eyes,

 hum to the rhthym of your heart,

and give in to your lullabye? 

Shall I follow you in my dreams, Yama, 

through  the darkest night,

surrendering all my hopes and wishes, 

my pride , my fear 

my  fight? 

Shall I clear  a sacred spot for you

in your rightful place

and open up my heart and soul

folding you in my embrace?


I promise I will do all this 

for you Yama,

if for me,

 you do one task:

Add one more moment to eternity,

is the only thing I ask. 

I promise I will not cringe 

when you touch me

or crumble 

when you talk

if you would only 

add one more minute  

to the universal clock. 

I will willingly be yours, oh Yama 

if this could only be.

I will love you like I do my life,

and I will set your  demons free.

I will be your devoted student Yama

and will seek to show you how

I have  learned 

a mere second in your life time,

is a lifetime in my now. 

© Dale-Lyn, August, 2021


Okay...I know... more than a little rough lol. It was conceived while I was reading the Chapter , The Dream Continues from Deepak Chopra's Life After Death. Throughout the book he refers to the Saga of Savitri and Satyavan...a famous Indian fable.  Though his version differs somewhat from the ones I read...it is all about a woman confronting and outwitting death (Yama) in order to keep her husband alive.  

I love the learning Deepak Chopra shares from his understanding of his version of the story , She actually did love him [Death/Yama]as one loves the wholeness of Life rather than one aspect alone. (170) Read that line as I was rereading this chapter and taking notes ( Okay...with books like this ...I read and underline things that stick out to me and then I go back and study what is being taught like I am a student studying for a mid term lol...I don't know why other than I truly want to learn from any resource I can get my hands on, especially if it has something to do with learning about what it means to be human and what it means to be "more than human". I digress) ...The next thing I knew I was jotting down Savitri's Promise and the poem came out...It came out in five minutes and it came out rhyming ...sigh! Little to do with "me."

All is well!

Deepak Chopra ( 2006) Life After Death. Three Rivers Press: New York

The Ancient Tale of Savitri http://schools.yrdsb.ca/markville.ss/history/religion/hinstory3.html



No comments:

Post a Comment