Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Irreducible Rascality

 In everyone of us is an element of irreducible  rascality.

Alan Watts


What the heck does that mean?

Ego remains in all of us to some degree no matter how "evolved" we become...Even if it is not who we are in the big picture,ego  is a part of who we are while we tramp around on earth.  And as long as ego is around we are going to be rascals to some degree .  No matter how much we meditate, do good deeds, and claim how spiritual we are...there will be moments when we are going to be selfish and pleasure seeking ( or at least doing all we can to avoid discomfort). We are going to slip into reactivity, getting lost in anger, resentment and frustration at times.  We are going to behave  in a  less than "spiritual" way every now and again as well. So denying this, pretending this is not the thing to do  and taking up airs of superior righteousness is not the way to go, according to many zen teachings. It is more in tune with our true nature to know that we all have that element of  rascality in us...recognize it, accept it, and embrace it before letting it go. 

So if you get anything from my blogs here, I do hope you get this element of irreducible rascality I have in me as I bleed all over the page with it. I am not claiming to be an awakened master...far from it...just some imperfect human being with a large ugly ego attached to  me as I express my willingness and desire to awaken. 

Disown spiritual arrogance and cultivate spiritual humility.Doug Noll

It is all good! All is well in my world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment