Monday, November 20, 2023

Sleepy November

 Peering from some high window, at the gold of November sunset and feeling if it has to become night, this is a beautiful way.

e.e. cummings

 I don't know what to write about today. It feels like there was so much exposure lately.  I feel the urge to pull back a bit maybe and just breathe.  I like to observe nature when I breathe in. 

Lovely cool, crisp November day out there. I am looking out the window  and seeing the signs of a changing season. Winter is coming. So many changes.  Trees are naked. The earth covered in heavy frost and dusty wisps of snow in the morning.  Cars have to be started and run for a while before anyone is brave enough to crawl in them. 

I find myself wondering where my crows went.  I have not seen them in days. ( "My" crows lol...as if they are "mine"). Just meant the murder of  crows I have been feeding all summer.  I named them all and got to the point where they would come when I called them.  I could get pretty close to them as well and they would look down at me as I spoke to them.  So cool :)  I do hope they are okay. Now that food source is limited, I expected them around more.  Maybe they flew south to a warmer area.  I still put the feed out for them but my dogs tend to eat it, just for spite, I am sure.  They are very territorial and do not like me feeding or talking to  other animals. :) 

Speaking of feeding other animals, "my" visiting bear ( oh another claim to that which I  can never claim, lol)...is likely preparing for hibernation. Don't notice his tracks, or scat in the yard or on the trail I walk anymore. Have not heard or seen him outside at night in quite a while.  

The spiders on the troughs outside my windows...and there are many ( I cannot kill them or disturb their webs despite how unappealing...or scary ( they are rather large) their presence  may look)...I discovered are in something called "diapause" right now, which is just a very sleepy metabolic  state meant to help them survive the harsh Canadian winter.  They can still wake up on warm days  to eat.  I did scatter some of their prey covered webs that were standing out because of frost. They were no longer needed and  were creating more of a Halloween scene, then a Christmas one lol...I did my best not to harm the actual spiders.  

Most animals are gone.  No more robin song :( , but there are the Chickadees to listen to and the Jays, whose squawking over the acorns, have diminished a lot in the last few weeks. The deer are also visiting. Glad to see that the left over apples which were so, so abundant on my trees this year (an inner thankyou to the person who gifted those trees to me...they were absolutely lovely every year in their beauty and their harvest) are being put to good use. 

Hmmm! This really is a lovely time of year.  The light is amazing...cloud cover is usually darker but the light beneath that shines through is silvery and almost ethereal in its radiance.  November, though it seems like such a sad month, is simply just a sleepy one...yawning and stretching before the world goes to bed.  

The world is such an amazing thing to observe, no matter what season it is. Don't you think?






  

All is well!

No comments:

Post a Comment