Thursday, February 23, 2023

Getting Our Needs Met?

 You used to make satisfying your needs your priority [before awakening]. Most of our modern needs are psychological. Psychological needs are actually unnatural, as they indicate that something is missing or wrong.

Michael A. Singer , living untethered, page 191


I had a discussion yesterday,  something about "my"  psychological needs.  In this person's mind it was very natural and healthy for me to honor these needs and to set limits to protect them.  We used Maslow's hierarchy as an example. My desire to reach a state of complete peace through awakening and  Self Realization might not have been understood but the human drive towards Self- actualization could be understood.  It was  pointed out that a person can not reach the top tier of the pyramyd without having the needs for food, water, shelter, safety met right etc. That is obvious...if I am starving to death or dying from dehydration,  Self actualization might not seem that important (  Though I believe we do achieve a certain realization when we are dying).  Then the need for love and belonging was brought up.  Can we get there without that?  Do we need to be in healthy "special relationships"?  My wise mind says of course not...if I am Self realized ( Self- actualized) it wouldn't matter who I interact with, who I am with.  I will feel love because that  love, I know, comes from me not the other person. And what about esteem? I don't attempt to have my esteem.needs met anymore.  It seems too shallow. ..I see esteem as something that helps the ego get to the top but if the ego gets to the top it isn't true actualization, is it, because we are dealing with the "little self" and not the greater Self? I did not know how to explain this perspective to this individual.

The conundrum arises for me when I see how the "me" is suffering...efforting to survive financially and physically and constantly, it seems, having those efforts thwarted. This "me" has psychological problems. I talk to this very empathetic and caring person about this issue and it is all great and good until I mention  how this is probably a good thing becasue I want "me" out of the picture anyway. I want "me" out of the way because it isn't who I really am. I realize how far off that goal seems to most people...how "insane" maybe.  I am telling this individual that I should not be attempting to have this "me's" needs met anyway...but  she calmly and nonjudgmentally asks, how do I  get to Self actualization/Self realization unless I deal with one pyramid level at a time? 

These psychological problems, Singer reminds us, are just a result of blocked energy flow.  The problems are something my mind up and are non-existent to the greater Self. Both the problem and the solution are internal. How would I explain that to someone who genuinely wants me to be more assertive in getting my physical and psychological needs met, who is encouraging me to surround myself with other people and external circumstances that support "my" needs so that I feel love, joy and enthusiasm? How do I explain it to myself when I see how unnatural these needs are but at the same time I seek to meet them?  So bloody confusing. 

Psychological needs come from your  blockages. When the energy is freed, what you feel is love, joy, enthusiasm, which are just different words for uplifting energy...When your energies are liberated, you don't need energy from anybody else. 

Michael A. Singer, page 191-192

Michael A. Singer ( 2022) living untethered. New Harbinger/ Sounds True.

Michael A. Singer/ Temple of the Universe ( February 6, 2023) Living From a Higher Place Within. https://tou.org/talk-archive/

No comments:

Post a Comment