Saturday, August 26, 2017

What is Healing?


The good physician treats the disease; the great physician treats the person who has the disease.
William Osler 

This look at holistic healing is consuming me because I am not sure I am articulating clearly enough to enhance my own understanding. It's still all about me and my understanding, isn't it?  lol.

I guess what I wanted to say is healing occurs with the most general of diagnosis, with wholeness and at a much deeper level than can be understood by our limited mindsets.

The Most General of Diagnosis

We do not need to be so specific in the cause of our issues. We really do not need to make distinctions at the cellular level, the organ level, the system level, the physical organism level( the body) vs the mind or spirit level, the individual human level, the humanity level, the being level, the  planet level etc etc etc.

If we or anything in this universe are experiencing anything but the perfect flow of energy, peace and joy that all life is meant to experience...we need healing.  It doesn't matter if you call the resistance problem through a diagnosis... cancer or rheumatoid arthritis.  It doesn't matter if you call it schizophrenia or a border line personality disorder.  It doesn't matter if you call it sin or a crisis in faith...we have a problem that needs healing.

Healing is healing and it involves absolutely everything.  So why do we need to break the thing that needs healing down into tiny sections that we can label and diagnose as being the  problem?

Say what, crazy lady?

I am still stuck on breaking down problems under specific labels and diagnosis's . I still have a tendency to break down my life issues into spiritual, mental/emotional or physical.

In the physical realm I subdivide again...and see my physical problems of pain and a lack of energy  as following under one of three body system issues: gynecological, muscular skeletal and cardiac.

Now I was professionally trained indirectly using the  medical model.  I became obsessed with a need for one clear and specific diagnosis to explain my health issues.  I knew if I did not have one, I would  not receive the social respect, assistance and support required to accommodate my life.  I would not be validated.  I wanted that validation. I thought I needed it. I thought I needed that specification.





Wholeness

I now know that a medical diagnosis that is clear and succinct will not  heal me.  It will lead simply to a band aid being put over one of the many lesions which is merely a symptom of a systemic disease.  By systemic, I mean whole system not body system.

My cardiac condition, my muscular condition, and my gynecological condition are just symptoms of a greater disease. My body "malfunctioning" is just a symptom of a greater disease.  Any thing my whole being registers as "unhealthy" is just a symptom of a greater disease.  Any problems within humanity simply is a symptom of a greater disease.

And by disease, I mean: Dis-Ease.

Are you getting that?



Resistance

What is this greater disease? It is resistance...resistance to the truth of who we are, what life is, from where we came and what is possible for us.  Resistance causes physical pain, cell destruction, fatigue, blocked energy, depression and spiritual deprivation. It causes what we know as disease: dis-ease.

It doesn't matter where it manifests or how it manifests...if we are not living, expanding fully...if our world is not expanding with us...than we are resisting something.

The Taoist leader Lao Tzu called the flow of life, "the way" and felt that all problems arose because of our resistance to it.

"Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don't resist them.  That only causes sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in any way they like."

Letting Go

Healing is letting go of resistance.  If I want to fix my heart and my muscles, my thinking,  my feeling, or my lack of spiritual connection...I simply need to stop resisting...to let go and let life flow through me.

I am not so sure how to do that yet. So I will get back to you lol.

All is well.

Check out:

The Tao Te Ching...chapter 46




No comments:

Post a Comment