Friday, August 11, 2017

Happiness Directions: Step Six: Know that You Chose This!

With whatever has happened to you, you can either feel sorry for yourself or treat what has happened as a gift. Everything is either an opportunity to grow, or an obstacle to keep you from growing.  You get to choose.
Wayne Dyer

How we deal with the less than positive events of life

Hmmm!  How do you look at the less than positive things that "happen to you"?

I spent a great deal of my life feeling sorry for myself!  I clung to each trauma or negative event and said, "Look!  This is what happened to me.  This is why I can't do this or that!  Feel sorry for me too!"  Man, if my life was going to suck maybe I could at least  find  a little perk in  the drama and the pity lol.  Sounds extreme, I know, but isn't that what so many of us do?

Wayne Dyer's books as well as the writing and inspirational teachings of many others have  spurred me to look at the events of my life a little differently.  I am starting to see that I had a choice...I always had a choice as to how I 'perceived" the events of my life. 

Now that I am awakening...slowly and sometimes painfully... ( please know that I know I am not further ahead than anyone else...We can't compare anyway.  I am just on my own twisted little journey to the truth :))....I choose to look at these things differently. 

As I do, I begin to realize that most of the things I used to perceive as negative, fearful and just plain awful...were actually precious gifts that offered learning.  This learning has spurred me onto this path that has led me to where I am right now...which is exactly where I am meant to be.  I can look back at the "terrible" things in my life...even to those events that some would refer to as "grossly unfair, life shattering and gruesome" and actually and sincerely be grateful for them. They have allowed for my own personal growth and expansion as a human being.  Is that not what we are here for

Wow!  Deep...Crazy lady...deep!

Learning From Body Lessons

Yesterday I was sick with something...the body was probably complaining because I had been over doing it...despite my intention to do less. I also have this recurrent pelvic pain...I know it is a cyst on my left ovary...probably due to endometriosis.  I have been  told, despite the fact it doubled in size in three months,  it is functional and will go away in a month...just to buck up with the pain and wait for menopause to hit. 

Which I am perfectly okay with...I would rather think of it that way but my scientific and rational mind ...and my own spiritual wisdom knows differently. The truth I do adhere to is that it will go away on its own.  I am sure if they understood or could relate to the type of discomfort I get...the approach would be different...but if it were different I wouldn't have this learning opportunity.

Anyway, in the height of discomfort related to both this and the bug, I found myself bending over, crying in pain, but at the same time saying thank you out loud to the universe. I realized that despite how much it hurt...it made me so aware of my life force, the fragility of it, the preciousness of it. It connected me to the body I have been trying so hard to ignore reminding me that it is a part of me...it doesn't define me...but is a part of who I am as a human being. I am to embrace it, protect it, love it.

The discomfort  forced me to be here and now...and nothing else in the world seemed to matter in those moments of severe pain.  My body and I were communicating in the present moment.  I felt alive. 

Then when the pain passed and the relief came it was like "Awe!!!"  Such a sweet thing relief is. It reminded me that suffering never lasts...it exists yes to teach us something...but it never lasts forever! 

I was grateful for the pain experience.

Like so many so called "nasty" things of life, I could have been completely overwhelmed by that experience but I chose to see it differently.  I used it as an opportunity to grow.

That being said...I am not asking for too many more lessons like that...the pain free ones are good too lol. Bring more of those pain-free ones on please.  :)

The Choice of Perception

We choose how we look at our life events and we can see them as obstacles or as opportunities for growth.  If we see them as opportunities, we can put away our self pity, our anger, our blame and our resentment.  We can feel peace instead and peace is the necessary stepping stone for the happiness we seek.

When we see that we can choose...we are given not only responsibility for our lives but power as well.  We become powerful and empowered to have the lives we want. We are not limited by events but inspired, enhanced, and blessed by them. Instead of victims , we are creators.  Is this not more conducive to happiness?





Metaphysical Choices?

And what about the metaphysical significance  of our choices?

Do you believe as Dyer and others did, that our choice actually began before we even came down into physical form?  That we put an order into God, the Life Force, the universe...detailing  what type of life experiences we were to have on earth? Is that possible?

If that were the case, would we not have to take responsibility for the lives we are living now?    Something to think about.

All about our Growth and Expansion

Anyway...if we want to be happy, we need to start looking at all life events as an opportunity to do what we are here to do...grow and expand! That is our purpose and fulfilling our ultimate purpose is sure to bring happiness, is it not?  Does that at least make sense?

All is well in my world!


References

Dyer, Wayne ( 2004) The Power of Intention: Learning to Co-Create Your world Your Way. Hay House.

Dyer, Wayne (2009)   There is a Spiritual solution to Every Problem. Harper-Collins.

Dyer, Wayne (2009) Excuses Be Gone. Hay House.


No comments:

Post a Comment