Thursday, July 23, 2026

All in the Perspective.


Look up; not down!

A few days ago  I wrote a poem through a mental perspective of feeling stuck.  (See "Heavy" from July 19th)The poem radiated a certain negative focus downward. I, as the poet was purposefully focusing on the negative.  

Our lives are determined by our perspectives. I took that very same poem and reworded it using a different poetic perception ( as Thoreau calls it).  I felt so different simply writing it and reading it in a positive way. So much more lightness, peace, light, and joy can be found through this perspective.  It reminded me of how much power is in our perception.  We get to choose how we perceive and express what we are perceiving in this life. We get to choose if we will focus down or up. This perception will determine the quality of our days. Up is definitely the way to go. So cool!!

 

Light...

I open eyes 

to a purring cat on my hip, quick and determined claws

kneading biscuits in the abundance that has become my body.

Familiar and energetic twins ...also greet me: Smile on face...and mind, 

a calm and grateful tool that refuses to look down..

I wake up.

 

I slip from the bed.

Limbs experiencing the many aspects of sensation...

Expressing love for all who are suffering, my feet kiss the earth.

And the intention to help, meta kindness, fills my calves with purpose

I stand.

 

I step down.

The earth is solid and steady beneath my feet.

The awareness of the world's suffering, lifts me with compassion into the morning

 Toes and tendons, molded by life’s many ups and downs offer testament to time that has passed

As they curl forward in appreciation for all that was given including the gift of motherhood.

I ground into solidity.

 

I uncurl.

The body’s sweet noises like the soft rustle of breeze against aging leaves,

 lovely musical notes that come with being alive, escape from joints.

Bone supported by bone, the sturdy leaning on the strong

body and life sharing moisture, softness, the precious lubrication of joy .

I straighten.

 

 I stretch

Various sensations, some pleasant, some not ...tease and dance...playing with muscles

Awakening aging sinew as limbs are lengthened

I do not stamp out the unpleasant. I wrap my arms around it.

The cramping, another whispered Hail Mary 

added to the gratitude list I have long ago kneeled to write ,

I welcome all sensations.

 

I move.

Neck down, Shoulders curled forward in reverence to gravity...a gift they willingly carry

Body slowly and gracefully moves with  it, into this precious dash of life I have been given.

The draft ...created by this illusion of disconnect and aloneness the empty space creates

Is blown away by the wind of his breath behind me, reminding me of my own

creating lift under my arms. Shoulders move to ears.

I am propelled like one of the many soft and floaty things carried by the breeze

 over the mound of abundance that grows and multiplies beneath me,

and through the door.

I softly sway.

 

I move into another room, another day.

Warmth in chest, I breathe; Lightness of mind, no need to think

Gravity’s chosen pawn.  Like a shuffleboard puck, I am playfully slid from one task to another.

Flowing with the force above me, I lift arms like water. I do what I get to do.

Flush toilets, run hands under taps, fill bowls, make coffee

sit to write something of meaning...opening to the empty page

bring cup to lips, use fingers and compassionate heart to answer the human calls for help,

Write, 2000 words ...words with depth, words with meaning like the sincere "good morning" I offer.

Put away dishes, sweep the floors...rejoicing in being able to pick up broom

tapping, tapping, tapping fill remaining pages of chapter with something...anything...nothing...it doesn’t matter

Arms tremble with delight under the stream of hope and expectation the morning light from window offers.

Its reality brings tears of joy to my eyes. I bow my head in reverence.

I slip into any opportunity to serve I can find.

 

I serve

Light with joy. One of the many beings under gravity’s guiding palms 

I slip like a breath of air from one giving activity to another,

From one lovely smiling face to another, 

from one more thing I can give away to another,  

taking nothing of it seriously, I go from

 laughing and playing with reckless abandonment

to the listening truths offered by wise teachers

Moving all parts of body as one unified serving machine

While going nowhere, doing nothing but breathing

Into a body and soul that no longer needs to cry out to be heard.

I am free

 

I sigh

Clocks ticking patiently in background,

Life’s many noises and humanity’s many words entering the silence

Without disturbing the meaningful watching and noticing of life,

a comfortable and healing practice that takes over the day

uplifting any weighted heart, unveiling any clouded mind.

I sigh

 

I watch as time passes

Morning becomes dusk. When dark enough, I make my way back to bed

Body still light, supple, carrying the energy of life and the stream of morning light in every cell.

Head softly rests on pillow...waiting ...for cat with happy claws to remind this human,

once again that it can feel what it is like to be alive.

Smile on face. Mind, free of anything that does not serve.

I close my eyes.

All is well!


No comments:

Post a Comment