Friday, January 14, 2022

What The Eyes Cannot See

 Not that which the eye can see, but that whereby  the eye can see, know that to be Brahman, the eternal, not what people here adore.

Kena Upanishads

What the Eye Cannot See

 My left eye is full of blotches and shadow I have to kind of work around to see what I am doing these days.  Very annoying but not that serious.  I broke through my resistance and did go in for a retinal exam that showed I do not have a retinal detachment...yeah!!!...but a vitreous detachment.  The jelly like substance that holds the retina in place is pulling away and detaching...partly due to the aging process...and partly, I believe anyway, due to the astigmatism ( I am assuming...and I don't know much...that  is why I am feeling the pressure in that eye all the time).  That on top of cataract formation and, man oh man,  it is a challenge to see out of that eye.  In the videos you will notice that I am straining at times to keep that eye, and therefore also  the other eye, open when I look directly at the camera. The vitreous will resettle eventually, the cataracts will eventually get to the point where we need to do something about them but for now I need to get used to this strange way of seeing.

A Strange Way Of Seeing?   

We all have a strange way of looking out at the world, don't we?  I mean we look out with our body's eyes and see objects (other people, places, things, thoughts, beliefs, feelings) , see them as separate yet we identify with those objects, get very, very attached to them...cling even.  And when we do this we forget all about "what" It is that is doing the seeing. 

Eckhart Tolle reminds us, in a video I cannot site because I cannot seem to find it, of the two dimensions on which we see and experience Life.  There is the superficial dimension...where all the "form" is...the objects we are observing are...and there is the deeper dimensions where the "subject" is that does the seeing..I mean the real seeing that goes beyond your eyes.  It is the "field of aware presence," that does the real seeing...not what people here adore.

So , at this point in my life experience, I am not seeing clearly through my body's eyes.  That is okay.  I really want to see better through the eyes of awareness. 

All is well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment