Monday, January 31, 2022

Still Measuring Human Doing?

The measure of achievement is not winning awards. It is doing something that you appreciate, something that you believe is worthwhile.

Julia Child  

Monthly Measurement

 The last day of January and I am thinking about what I accomplished this month.  It is so hard to slip away from that idea of doing to achieve, isn't it?  Maybe that is because we are not suppose to stop "doing" completely.  Maybe "human doing" is a part of the "human being" experience. Do you think that is why it is so hard to put down our to-do lists altogether or  to, at least , stop checking things off in our heads? I don't know.  I often write and speak and think about getting beyond the need for  measuring our doing but I found myself today measuring.  How many of my resolutions, if any, have I stuck to?  What tasks  did I accomplish , in this first month of 2022, to set me on my way in my writing, wellness practice, or higher practice? 

Ego Measures Doing

I chastised myself for doing it but there I was mentally checking off what I accomplished and setting intentions for finishing this or that by midnight tonight. For example, I have done 23 videos...answered 23 questions and my mind tells me that should be a 25.  Even though I entered this self-created challenge on January first with an intention of attaching little to no expectation to the doing of this...attaching little to no expectation for outcome...part of my mind says , "A nice round quarterly figure like 25 would be nice. Just do two more today and you will reach your goal."  My goal?  Is it my goal?  Or ego's goal to get to 25?   I doubt that   higher Self would care if I did 2.5,  25 or 2500 videos ...but ego likes the sound of  me saying, "I created 25 videos this month." Ego likes to measure doing. 

I "accomplished" a few other little things: In the writing world: continued to write a blog entry almost everyday, got an old novel out to a publisher, will by midnight tonight have finished proof reading my sister's great novel, I wrote one poem, came up with another idea for yet another book ( these ideas have to slow down...I am finding I am so overwhelmed with ideas and starts to  writing projects that I freeze and do nothing...I take that back lol...I don't want those ideas to stop coming...I just want to find a way to organize my writing so it is organized and goal directed...does that mean I need a to-do list after all? lol) ) .

I accomplished other things too...got through a COVID crisis without getting COVID but was able to support others who had it. I began and almost finished a little DIY project, something I have been meaning to create for over a year...finally I buckled down this weekend to begin it and though it definitely needs some tweaks and some more effort on my part...it is almost there. (Of course, ego is saying..."Oh get that done before midnight and you can add that to your list of January achievements" .  Shut up ego! lol ) I began and finished another great book that I added to the  learning taking me farther down this path. Been doing fairly well if not perfectly, drinking my one and a half litres of water a day as I resolved to do this year. 

Being...the Real Accomplishment

Hmmm! anyway...January has slipped away so quickly.  Whether I did or did not do enough this month, I was!  And that is the most important thing...being. I was and am. 

All is well! 

No comments:

Post a Comment