Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Refuge

 

Attadipa Saranam 

[Taking Refuge in the Island of Self]

Being, an island unto myself,

Buddha is my mindfulness,

shining near, shining far.

Dharma is my breathing,

guarding body and mind.

I am Free.

As an island unto myself,

Sangha is my five skandhas

working in harmony.

Taking refuge in myself,

Coming back to myself,

I am free.

Breathing in, breathing out,

I am blooming like a flower,

I am fresh as the dew.

I am solid as a mountain.

I am firm as the Earth.

I am free.

Breathing in, breathing out,

I am water reflecting what is real,

what is true;

And I feel there is a space

deep inside of me.

I am free. 

from: Thich Nhat Hanh's Peace is Every Breath,(2011), Harper One, page 36-37

As I mentioned yesterday, I often use this Gatha as part of a walking or breathing meditation. I have revamped the practice over the last couple of days in tribute to a great teacher whose presence on this planet has made a wonderful difference to so many beings. 

I don't want you to get hung up on this Gatha's  Buddhist terminology...on terminology at all.  I want you to see beyond the terms, beyond religion, to what is meant. 

In Buddhist teaching  there are the three jewels: the Buddha, the dharma and the Sangha. These jewels though very important to Buddhist practice can be found in almost any spiritual practice...just with different labels or names. .All the term 'buddha' means is "enlightened one". There is and have been, in fact, many buddhas in this world  from all types of cultures and religions. Most of us on this path  to Self realization, regardless if we are Catholic or Hindu, are seeking to be buddhas ( though we may not use that term).  The Buddha, however,...was  a man that attained buddhahood in a particular way and then set out to teach how he achieved it. This is how Buddhism started. The Buddha  was an enlightened teacher and the founder of Buddhism, not a "god".

The Dharma...is a Sanskrit word that simply means  "the teachings and the way to understanding and love"(Hanh, 2011).  It is just a word pointing to something that is universal and non-denominational.

Sangha is the name for spiritual community or the people who support us on our paths. The Sangha could be your congregation, your parish, your AA group or your reading club.  Again...just a term that is not specific to Buddhism.

The Five Skandhas are the elements of who we are in form: body, feelings, perceptions, mental formations[thoughts and beliefs], and consciousness. 

So keep that in mind as you read. We are encouraged in this Gatha to take refuge in the deeper spacious Self within us.  It is like an island that is undisturbed by anything the world has to offer or throws at us. It is stillness and it is quiet. 

How do we get to this island?  

Mindfulness can bring us back to present moment, to here and now, so we can think clearly and have more to give. When we become "aware" of what is happening to us or around us and look upon it all as observers...rather than getting lost in it, we are on our way to our island vacation.

Breathing also gets us there. It  is an anchor that takes us back into body, and  a "clearer" non reactive mind, protecting us from ego's pull towards story, drama and reactivity.

 And when our bodies, thoughts, views, feelings and consciousness are all working in balance,  we can take refuge in the Self within. 

Hmm...this is how we find our emancipation from the prison of emotional reactivity and suffering...by  taking refuge in the island of Self..

All is well.

Thich Nhat Hanh (2011) peace is every breath. New York: Harper One

No comments:

Post a Comment