Saturday, January 8, 2022

Claiming the Shadows

 Whereas our  higher, greater  Self is like the sun, all the negative thoughts, doubts, fears, anger, and resentments that we hold dim the light of the sun and, finally, the light comes through only weakly.

David R. Hawkins

Do You  Want to Shine Brightly or Weakly?

My goal is to have this light of a greater Self shine through. I am assuming you are wanting the same for yourself. 





I believe, as you can probably tell, in being honest with myself and honest with the world around me.  I do not wish to hide what I think and feel anymore.  To me, that need to hide our private thoughts and feelings, is one of the things that keep us stuck in this mind set of separation, the "me" against "them" struggle. 

Besides, "I' do not,  really, have any "private, personal' thoughts, do I?  When you read what I write do you not sense a connection (even if that connection is in the form of a repulsion, a judgement, a blaming)because you realize the feelings and thoughts I express are also in you?  I mean, the situations differ, the triggers differ, the degree and variety might differ somewhat, but we all have "guilt" don't we?  We all have "resentments ", "anger", "blame"?  We all have "fear, worry and anxiety" from time to time?  We all have "sadness", " negativity" and even "despair" at times...do we not? I relay what I write because I want to learn more about what makes us human and I want to heal from a suffering I know extends beyond this little clump of flesh and mind I call me. 

There is what Carl Jung referred to as a shadow self buried within all of us. Most of us are terrified of ever touching that part...fearing that if we opened up that Pandora's box we and the world around us would become overwhelmed by the "monsters" inside. So we keep the lid down, holding with all our might, using up so much energy that could be better used enjoying Life to avoid, deny, suppress, repress, project outward  and hide the contents of our shadow self from self and others. This shadow self and our need to keep it contained runs our Life. It prevents our inner light from shining through. Sigh!

We cannot heal from suffering until we open and release what is inside us. We really can't.  We can't be whole human beings until we acknowledge and accept those parts of us as parts of us.  As terrifying  as it is to venture into this dark and uncharted territory...it is something we must do if we want to heal. 

He [Carl Jung] said that the self cannot become healed and whole unless we look at and acknowledge the shadow. This means that buried within us all, in what Jung called the "collective unconscious", is everything that we most dislike admitting about ourselves.  The average human, he said, would much rather project his shadow onto the world and condemn it and see it as evil, thinking that his problem is to battle with evil in the world.  In actuality, the  problem is merely to acknowledge the presence of such thoughts and impulses in ourselves.  By acknowledging them, they become quiet.  Once they are quiet they no longer consciously run us. 

This is what true liberation is all about.

You do not have to do what I do here and spill your guts all over the page but I do suggest, if I am in any position to suggest anything, that you at least become willing to look inside for the sake of your own healing, and the world's healing.  As Thich Nhat Hanh teaches, The only way out is in.

All is well in my world! 

David R. Hawkins (2012) Letting Go: The Pathway to Surrender. New York: Hay House (Kindle Edition)

No comments:

Post a Comment