Tuesday, March 24, 2020

How are you spending your day?


How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives.
Annie Dillard

What are you doing with your time?

Well I don't know about you, but my time right now is not that different than what it had been before the self imposed "social distancing".  I was already somewhat distant  for other reasons..  I was already well deep into learning to be still, to "be", to settle in this "here and now". I am grateful for that.  And as you may know by now, I am not that big on the concept of "doing" anyway.  I prefer to be and then do from there...if that makes sense to anyone.

So this is how I spend my time if anyone really cares lol.  I suppose at this point you just may be bored enough to read my big long rambles. :)
  • I get up in the morning and I look out at the world.  I need to see nature first thing.  It was snowing this morning and everything looked so pure and clean because of that new layer of fresh fallen snow on it.   It was like all sins ( or notion of sins) were forgiven.(And we all know what forgiveness really means at this point, right? :))
  • I put the kettle on for tea and as I am waiting for that to boil I greet all my animals ( that takes a while...there are many) and  feed them all.  Of course if others are home or awake I greet them too..if D. is off we enjoy our tea/coffee together.
  • I then sit in my dining room which is surrounded by windows and light.  It is almost as if I am outside. And I just sit with my tea.  It is my favorite time of the day.
  • The animals, after they finish eating, usually surround me or crawl up on my lap and we just sit there in stillness and silence.  If my mind is too active, I will put on a you tube video to listen to some words of inspiration and wisdom from one of my many mentors.  I am selective as to who and what I listen to.  I seriously limit any time on social media or the news and I definitely do not start my day with it. . Today I listened to an address from Marianne Williamson.  She was the one who led me to A Course in Miracles so I feel a bit of a spiritual connection with her.
  • I may then do a twenty minute meditation right there as I am sitting in the chair.  It may be a guided meditation from You Tube, or I will meditate on my own.  I love the Who Am I? meditation that Kim Eng offers us. Sometimes  and often...I will just focus on breath going in and out.
  • I write in my devotional and I record my dreams from the night before...what I can remember which seems like a great deal sometimes.
  • I put something that I am grateful for in my gratitude book
  • Then I  come here to write...and I don't know what I am going to write.  I may have a few words jotted down from my mentors.  I may build on those or I may have a page in one of my books opened to something that catches my eye and I will write about that.  Or I may just start writing and see what comes out as I am doing now.  Sometimes what I have to say comes through me so fast it surprises me...as it is with my poetry.  Other times...it comes out in awkward spurts...like this is doing now.  I find if I am writing about myself...unless it is a profound life changing experience...it does not come out easy because it is ego doing the writing, trying to create image or something foolish. So this entry right here is not natural...I have been up and down since I started  to switch laundry over, wash a few dishes, put some clothes away , roll my bread and refresh my tea in the short time I sat here. I will finish it because I started it but it isn't the usually "trip" I get from writing lol. I prefer to have that Something within me carry me away.  I prefer this to be more than about "me"....you know. I would rather "teach" and "learn" at the same time...feel purpose in that.  Can't say I feel that purpose now.  I have, however, an awful habit of finishing what I start...so I will.
  • I will read throughout the day...from a Course...these days because I am reviewing the lessons...Michael Singer...and oodles and oodles of other books that land on my lap.  Love that...and as you can probably tell...I love poetry so I like to sink my heart into a good poem or two.
  • I do some house work but I do not knock myself out doing it either.  I pay extra attention to the bathrooms, door knobs, electronic surfaces that are touched often  and kitchen area because of the virus but by no means is this place as clean as could be!
  • I open all my windows for twenty minutes every day.  There is nothing like a fresh cold Canadian March breeze to cleanse  a house!
  • I make it a point to get up every hour when I am writing to walk around the house, stretch, shake out my legs etc.
  • I talk to my daughters who are here throughout the day, listening to them as they share and I reach out to my daughter who lives elsewhere.  I may send a text out to my son but he works long hours and I usually wait for him to contact me.
  • I bake a sour dough bread everyday.  In my way of establishing the positive focus on microbs in our lives to counter the negative, I am perfecting my bread!  So though the process usually begins a day or two before with the leaven and folding every hour...a bread goes into my oven every single day. I am producing something of value for myself, my immediate family and my siblings...with the minimum of resources...flour, salt, water and a bit of Canadian maple syrup to sweeten it naturally. (I don't like my bread too sour). And of course, all the microorganisms that are on the flour and in the air join in to make an almost  perfect loaf of bread...if I say so myself! It took me over three  years to get my starter and my skill to this level but I am getting there. Being home everyday has allowed that to happen.
  • I try to make at least one nutritious meal for my family a day and  supplement with a green smoothie in the afternoon for all who want to partake.(Great way to boost the immune system and  I have been doing it for years)
  • I do yoga.  Right now I am videotaping some yoga sequences for my students to do at home since I cannot lead classes here and I will open them to the public.  (I am giving a little of what I have to give).  I think yoga is a gift that will be of much benefit during this crisis.
  • I keep an eye on the stocks.  I have a very, very limited pension and am trying to make that go as far as I can through investing.  I invest very consciously...being mindful of the impact my chosen stock has on the world around me. I need more guidance in that area...not from investment mogul's...though I do listen and study them...but from what the planet is saying and what my heart is telling me during meditation.  I am determined to invest consciously, leaving as little negative footprints as I can!
  • I enjoy one family meal a day...I insist people sit at the table without cell phones or devices!
  • I try to get outside in nature once a day...even if it is only to go out in the yard to throw the Frisbee to the dogs.  I love it when I have the energy and ability to go for a walk in the woods!!! I love it out there.
  • I try to get a second meditation in a day.
  • I take online classes in photography, yoga and writing.  I also am hoping to do a "Meditation Trainer" course on line
  • I continue to fold my dough throughout the day.  I may also bake some muffins. (oatmeal or bran)...believe me I am no Betty Crocker
  • I do answer texts and emails but I barely have my phone on me.  I will go to my phone only when I am ready to do so.
  • I do watch Netflix with D.  after supper and after the dishes are done.  I do not watch TV before then.  It is our time to cuddle on the couch together .
  • I like to take my shower or bath...hot...before bed because it relaxes me and helps me to sleep.
  • Then I crawl into a very crowded bed with a 6'1'' man and three dogs, one of them weighing in at 80 lbs.
  • I read something wise and inspirational  before bed or listen to a guided meditation
  • and then I dream...lucidly throughout the night...telling myself I will remember all the important details.
Well that is my day...and I basically followed this routine long before the COVID-19 pandemic. The day flies by without a "pressure to do" or "accomplish"...just a desire to be.  (For the most part...ego is still around pestering and taking me away but I am much more centered than I ever was.) So we can all do this...just hunker down and accept that this is the way it is going to be for an indefinite time...we might as well make the most of it.  It is all good.

All is well in my world!

No comments:

Post a Comment