Wednesday, June 12, 2019

More Than a Little Mad

It is possible to divide every kind of happiness and suffering into two main categories: mental and physical.  Of the two, it is the mind that exerts the greatest influence on most of us.
-Dalai Lama

There is a reason for my madness. :) I am speaking about the madness of me constantly  writing  about controlling the mind  and the madness that exists in most of our minds anyway. 

It may seem a little mad, but I keep speaking to the need to tame our monkey minds because it is the focus of my attention these days.  I see this suggestion everywhere...in the books I read, the quote pages I open up to and the things I flick on the screen.  There is a reason why I am writing this...I feel compelled to and possibly a little "pushed" to. 

More than a Little Crazy

And yes I believe we are all mad.

Say what crazy lady? Speak for yourself.

I am speaking for my self and when I speak for myself, I am learning, I speak for everyone.

Yes, the majority of us are a bit crazy. Think about it.  Most of us live in our heads instead of in our bodies.  We live in a mental construct of past and future instead of  in the present moment.  We choose thinking over living. Of the 60,000 thoughts we supposedly think a day, 80 % of them are negative and 90 % of them are repetitive.  We are living a loop recording that is in our heads rather than experiencing the beauty that is Life occurring in us and around us right now.  We have been given this wonderful opportunity on this amazing planet to "experience" and most of us are forgoing the actual experiencing for some drama our ego minds have made up.  We are habitually fighting off what is and waiting for a time that doesn't truly exist to make it all better. We are actually choosing to stay stuck in suffering when we do not have to. All this is occurring in our minds! Does that not sound crazy?

One unpleasant memory or anxious thought after another and you are missing the present moment.  ...What kind of person does this state of consciousness produce?(Tolle)

Our minds are the source of our suffering and our taming them is the solution.  That simple.

Why do we need to tame them?

We need to tame them so we can transcend them and get beyond their chatter to the quiet stillness that is us. We tame them so we get beyond "thinking" about living to actually living.
We tame them so we can become aware of our madness, and then aware of the perfect sanity of the true Self hidden in the background by all our insane mental activity.  Slow the mental activity and ...voila!... we find our Self.  We become "aware" of who we are and what Life truly is.

Would it not make sense then...to choose sanity over madness, to choose peace over suffering?  Would it not make sense to tame that which is keeping us from peace and joy and Love?

Just saying.  But what do I know?  You need to discover this for yourself.

All is well.


Eckhart Tolle (2014) Meditation: Eckhart Tolle. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foU1qgOdtwg

No comments:

Post a Comment