Tuesday, June 4, 2019

An Update on "The Opposite Challenge"

Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hmm!  On February 27, 2017, almost two and a half years ago, I used that same quote in another entry...an entry entitled A Practice with "The Opposite Challenge". In that entry I set out to see if I could make something happen which was completely different than what I had in my life.  I was going to see if the universe would conspire to change my "unwanted" into "wanted." I used the state of my house at the time as the opposite I would use in my practice.  I had a house in urgent need of tender, loving care and I wanted it to become one that was clean and well maintained.

First of all, I have to say that I am not the best house keeper in the world...never was and never will be.  Housework is not on the top of my priority list but I do want and expect a certain level of cleanliness.  I used house maintenance  in this experiment because though it bothered me greatly not to be able to maintain it in a satisfactory way, it was not as critical as other issues.  It is best to begin such experimentation  with areas of your life that are not too pressing.

Okay so I had complained, accepted, asked, acted, affirmed, and felt as if  in several areas related to house maintenance...you will have to read the entry. I had no idea how or with what means I would be successful but I did as I wrote.

This is what I have since achieved:
  • Someone to come in to do the heavy cleaning: I did receive some help from my daughter and her partner with  cleaning,  repair and renovations.
  • Hire someone to come in once a week: Still working at that one, finances won't allow it right now.
  • Diminish clutter: I threw out half a store room, and about 30-40% of clutter from my home over the last two years, especially the last six months.  I Marie Kondoed everything and what a difference!
  • New Stone Counters: Couldn't afford new stone counters but I painted and resurfaced my present counter tops last summer  to look like stone.  I do have a new smooth surface.  And I got to use my creativity.
  • Paint Cupboards: My daughter and I refinished my old tired cabinetry with fresh colour and a unique flare last summer.  Love it!
  • Paint Walls: Still working on that.  Painting is physically draining but we did get the kitchen done (with a lovely splash of blue added as an accent wall) , the dining room and are working on the downstairs walls.
  • Purchase a better mop: I found a mop that does not tire me out as much...the bucket does the wringing.
  • Roomba: I got a Roomba for a birthday present two summers ago...love it!
  • Remove wall between kitchen and living room: Removed half the wall creating a lunch nook and the light and air  in my kitchen now is amazing.
  • Better couch protection from Pets:  working on that.  Have to throw out half my sectional because of dog related incidents and will purchase possibly a false leather couch which can be wiped clean when I can.
  • Kids to help out more: My girls will do their own laundry and the few times we had to go away, we came home to find the house cleaned from top to bottom.
  • Air purifiers: We purchased a split pump last summer to help with that and heating bills.  Am also in the process of getting one or two air purifiers  with dehumidifying action for downstairs.
  • Self Cleaning Oven: when D.'s house burnt down we salvaged that one he had.  What a difference it makes to have a glass cook top and an oven that cleans itself.  :)
  • Dishwasher:  Really have no room for one in my kitchen.  I actually use my dishwashing time to meditate a bit so I am okay with that.
  • New Kitchen floor without grouts: Got a vinyl floor on sale for a great price and put it down last fall.  Love it!  So easy to clean.
  • Minimize: Covered that as well 
I must stress that these things came with great ease to me, often "coincidentally".  The effort I had to apply was minimal and when I did have to apply it, it was "fun".

So what is my house like now? Though I may not be mopping the floor twice a week lol , I am keeping things half decent.  Even got out last week and cleaned the windows...something I have not been able to do for years. We are doing renos downstairs which will make things even easier to maintain, increasing the value and saleability of my home.

So would you say the universe was conspiring on my side when I delivered the opposite challenge to it? I would say it was. 

All is well.

No comments:

Post a Comment