Saturday, February 18, 2017

Missing Manuscript

Missing Manuscript

I usually give two people a copy of each manuscript I write for the sake of completing my own personal cycle of writing...which starts with the first word written and ends with the last word read.  The submitting for publication  is another process all together and has little to do with the creative agenda. 

I gave only the first half of  Broken to two individuals to read.  One individual read and returned her copy fairly quickly, not particularly liking the story or writing. (Of course...she was very diplomatic and kind in her review).

Another individual confessed yesterday that she left the manuscript on a flight to the Dominican in December.  She felt terrible about it and has spent the last two months getting airlines to search for it. Apparently it has been picked up and not returned. I am okay with that.  Of course, as she expressed, someone might  try to publish it themselves. 

Yes they could but I have all the proof that it is mine...if I ever discover, by chance, that that was done.  Besides, it is only the first half and from my first unsolicited review, as well the unsuccessful attempts to get a bite from agents and publishers for it,  not that promising. 

The second reader, however, assures me that  it was very well written and she fell in love with the main character.  She tells me she was truly enjoying the book before she put it down in the slot behind the seat to rest on the long flight.  It was there that it staid on their rushed departure from the plane.

Hmmm!  Guilt can make people say compensating things. lol.  I am not sure if she truly liked it...she did seem genuine...but I know she felt terrible about the possibility of someone stealing my work. She stressed that it was good enough to publish.

I really do not waste energy worrying about that happening but I do worry that on each page of the MSS I have my private contact information.  Whoever has it, more or less, has me???   Anyway...I am a firm believer that there is no such thing as coincidence...just serendipity.  That little piece of me was left behind a seat for someone, other than my two selected readers, to read for a reason.  I would like to think...it had something in it that they needed. Whatever happens beyond that, happens, I suppose.  :) 

All is well in my world!

No comments:

Post a Comment