Wednesday, July 10, 2024

Dreams, Samskaras, and Gurus

 If you can control the rising of the mind into ripples, you will experience yoga.

Patanjali

I had a dream last night and it was one of those dreams that did not make a lot of sense.  I was in this school like situation where I was supposed to get together with a group to work on some type of project.  I walk into the auditorium where the groups are already working on their projects.  I am seeking a group and feeling a little nervous that I won't be accepted by a group. One group calls me over and I am so grateful. They are quiet and unpretentious, a little shy maybe, but welcome me in. Just as I am about to ask them what their topic is, I hear my name being called to another table ( I am both surprised and warmed by the fact that I am being invited into not one but two groups. That the   groups  actually want me). 

I start to answer with a "Thankyou but I will stay at this first table because they asked first"  when  someone from the second table shouts out "Samskaras. Our project is on samskaras."  And I am like, "Oh my God...yes...I can work on that...I see that as ultimately important." 

I apologise and tell the first group that I have to go over to the Samskara table because I have been working on Samskaras. I feel bad for not being loyal to them and at the same time a little afraid, "What if I go over to the Samskara table and it doesn't work out?" I tell this first table I am just going to check it out and then I will make my decision.  

I start to go over to that other table and as I am leaving, I see this group that I am about to leave  ...much more quiet and reserved  ...are working on Zen Buddhism. I am a bit torn becasue I love Zen teachings but my heart is pulled to the Samskara group. I get there and the people are a little more lively (dressed in white while the others were dressed in black?) .  They show me what they are doing and I am like " Wow! I know about this...I can help here...this is so important...we need to get these Samskaras out of people. I personally need to get them out of myself too." I make the choice to stay with these people.

Be they good or be they bad samskaras do not serve our ultimate purpose.

So, of course I wake up thinking about my dream and about this committment I have to release samskaras. There wa such a pull there in my dream. This morning I felt compelled, then, to find a video on samskaras. I came across videos from a guru named Kamesh Patel. I am not sure about any self professed guru, as you know, or any movement led by one but  decided to listen anyway. He mentioned Patanjali and then he mentioned Vivekananda and I said, okay maybe his message will be pure even if he is or isnt. 

chitta vritti nirodha = freeing your chitt from all these vrittis is the aim of yoga.

Of course that is in the second sutra of Patanjali's yoga sutras, as the quote above describes.

This guru's teachings are all about purifying the heart from all samskaras so heaven can enter. Of course, Vivekananda said the same thing as did the father of  yoga, Patanjali himself.

So, I am not sure if my dream last night is significant and if it led me to see a video from this guru dude for some reason. It doesn't matter.  He may indeed be the genuine thing, or maybe not. He is traditional...in the sense that one has to go to him in order to truly experience the initiation of yoga. What I have a hard time understanding is why one has to be in the actual presence of a guru in human form to receive this "initiation" of yoga. If consciousness is indeed omnipresent should that 'opening up' be transferred over distance too?  And if one studies the teachings from the "older" masters as dictated ( Patanjali) or written (Yogananda and Vivekananda), and practice the steps laid out for Kriya yoga in writing ( Yogananda's written instruction for the practice he learned from Lahari Mahasaya), does that not do something?

Anyway, just questioning.

All is well. 

Heartfulness (2022 ) How to Get Rid of Samskaras. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqy15hHncBs

No comments:

Post a Comment