Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Don't Revere the Teacher?

 I don't think it takes much for a cult to be a cult. Many parts of our society are cultish, and you only need a charismatic leader and some teachings, and before you know it you have a cult.

Jerome Flynn


I watched the Netflix documentary last night on Anteres de la Luz. Note to self:  Don't ever watch a show about such a heart breaking and terryfing possibility of the human condition before going to bed, again. Dreamt about it all night. 

Why did I watch such a show? I am, as you may know, fascinated with cults. I see myself in the cult members and I hope to God to never see myself in the cult leaders. Even calling myself or anyone a spiritual teacher gives me the willies.  I think, though, we all have the potentiial for either. That is why I am fascinated.  

Every member had the same agenda I have...to awaken from human suffering , at least a bit spiritually, to understand truth, to be the best human being they could be.They did not join the cult because they wanted to kill an innocent baby or because they wanted to become a slave to someone elses desires, or to  kill themselves or anyone else as cult members do in the mass homicides they are sometimes known for. They joined (often without ever realizing they were 'joining' anything) for a higher reason. 

Their desire for higher understanding about life and truth, unfortunately got exploited by the needs of sociopaths, psychotics, ego maniacs etc...who knew what these people needed  (what we all need actually) and knew how to use it for their own benefits. 

How does one see someone as a guru and not get lost in that?  Were the members "crazy"? And if they were , am I for wanting the same things they wanted in the beginning of their journeys? I am not a fan of revering any teachers in human flesh because of this possibility. I will study and appreciate their teachings but it stops there.

Yet, how do cult leaders become cult leaders?  Do they set out to exploit or do they get lost in adoration of certain people? (From my research, I think they set out to exploit.) They do study everything I studied...they do write about it and talk about is as I do here. What is their motivation for doing so? I do believe Anteres was psychotic and I don't think the constant use of Ayahausca helped that.  ( I am certainly crossing off: go to Michu Picchu and drink Ayahausaca with a Shaman off my bucket list, let me tell ya.) I think he used this drug to get the members into the a state where he could plant ideas into their heads that would become their reality...like him as God and others as evil. If so, how psychotic was he really? He manipulated the experience to support his own delusions, if they were delusions and not just a part of his scheme to control. 

Anyway, I like to explore this more, if only to appease my mind.

All is well

No comments:

Post a Comment