Friday, May 3, 2024

Getting Through without the 'Woo-Woo'

 You go through what you need to go through to get through. 

Michael A. Singer

When you hear the word 'spirituality', how do you react?  Well, if you have been on this site more than once, it may not bother you, but many people will have a pull back type of reaction. 

I honestly believe we need to take the "taboo" and the "woo-woo" out of  this belief we have about 'spirituality'. Spirituality is not what most of us think it is.  It is simply a very subtle and deep but at the same time very practical way of approaching life, of learning how to handle it. There are, in reality,  very many ways of viewing life and handling it: psychology, biology, science, art, philosophy and religion.  All are spiritual! Why? They have the potential to take us to a greater and higher understanding. They all have the potential to help us live better lives. They are, therefore, spiritual! 

Spirituality is not all about going to church, temple, or synagogue; about renouncing all worldy possessions; about joining a monastery or ashram, about studying scripture and adhereing to ever word, nor is it all about meditating, or praying even.  These are all tools that can help us deepen our understanding about life and why we are here but the most important part of spirituality is brought about through processing through everyday life and observing how we do it and why. 

My spiritual practice has little to do with these things though I may practice some of them. I do meditate, for example, but not like a true Rishi would by any means.  I am not trying to get anywhere through my meditation, at this point, but to a relaxed, calm, clear and peaceful state. I read so much scripture and doctrine but only to get to an understanding it is pointing to that exists in me already: Why are we here?  How do we best live these lives we are given? Most importantly, how do we get through the suffering? 

Most of my practice occurs off the mat, off the cushion, out of church, away from the books...I simply observe my mind, heart, and body as I respond to the things Life is given me. Who observes? That is the most profound question. The spirit...that which I am at the deepest level, consciousness...that which we all share is the Objective Observer spirituality takes me too.  Hmm!

Anyway, I realize as I do so that we are all going through what we are going through in Life  simply to get through. Doing it well, is spirituality. 

All is well in my world. 


Michael A. Singer/ Temple of the Universe ( April 2, 2024) Life- Your Perfect Teacher. https://tou.org/talks/


No comments:

Post a Comment