Monday, July 24, 2023

The Beautiful Phenomena of Aging

 Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.

David Bowie

On my 60th birthday, instead of resisting, I find myself amazed with the beautiful phenomena of aging. I look at myself in pictures recently taken and see for sure the wrinkling of the skin, the greying of the hair, the cushioning around the waist ( that I affectionately refer to as my "estrogen fanny pack") but I also see an amazing being who has matured and grown past her identification with roles, and body image,  and her need to be "somebody" .  Though the personality and some of those ego things are still clinging and hanging around...for the most part I see so much  growth when I look at that 60 year old version of "me". 

At one time I feared aging and how it would disrupt the perfect image I wanted others to have of me.  Now it is like, "I care so much less about what you think of me than I used to."...that is very freeing.  Each wrinkle, each body change...I now look at with a certain degree of awe and curiosity, "Oh...wow! Look at that! This body is decaying as it is natural for it to do at this point of its existence.  Isn't that cool! Wonder what will happen next! " 

This all makes me realize that I am advancing away from this "thinking about life rather than being life" thing I have been doing most of my life.  I am stepping away from the effects of my somebody training, as Ram Dass refers to it in the below linked podcast.  I am becoming the person I always should have been. 

So cool, so grateful!

All is well.

Ram Dass Here/ Now Network- Episode 16- Little Schmoos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXiLYfa-vzE


No comments:

Post a Comment