Wednesday, September 1, 2021

The Thief of Permanence and Solidity

 The Thief 

I lay in the dark, 

like I do every night,

counting shadows on my wall.

As I wait for numbing sleep

 to overtake me,

the window to my chamber 

creaks open. 

Having heard the many rumours 

of a destructive prowler

that lurks around at night,

I am suddely filled 

with dread and expectation.

I quickly slide under my bed

and hold my breath. 


Dressed in black , 

a mere shadow in the night,

Time creeps  into this room.

It  tip toes across the shiny floor 

I worked so hard to  keep clean 

leaving evidence of its being here 

with  sloppy  muddy tracks.


I watch helplesslessly 

as it opens up my safe 

with just the lightest tap, 

grabbing  all the precious shiny gold

I was saving for tomorrow.

 It throws  my life work

 thoughtlessly 

into a sack that makes  

all valuable , 

hard earned things 

disappear. 

I wince 

as it  rummages 

through my  drawers, 

closets and trinket boxes,

through my life's collections,

knocking down,

turning over, 

destroying,

without any regard 

for the  property and privacy

I marked as "mine".

It takes all  that once 

may have made others envious 

or at least allowed  

me to blend into the world

and 

leaves behind

 the mismatched, 

misfit, 

tattered and worn,

now permanently  marked  

with its grubby finger prints. 


I watch without  hope

as I am stripped 

of all I thought was "me", 

while  its accompliss, 

on the wall behind me, 

ticks a song 

I am all too familiar with.


Time  shuffles past

slowly,

deliberately

ready to leave with its stash.

My heart beats so quickly.

I want it to go before I am discovered here.

As if hearing my thought,

 this thief of youth and permamence ,

turns toward my hiding place and 

for the briefest second ....

 stops!



 The  muddy toes point in my direction.

 I  gulp in the air that is suddenly so stale

and try to slither back and away

 to no avail.

Time bends down and lifts the bed skirt,

peering in at me with sightless eyes

that peak out around the holes of its mask, 

sending shivers down my spine.

It shakes its  head and whispers 

in a tone of  a superior being

who need not explain anything,

"You can't get away from me." 


Before I can scream in protest,

it reaches in and pulls me from

my comfort zone. 

I fight but  

my fists strike at nothing.

There is nothing solid 

I can push away.

Dragging me into the light 

it  punishes me for my resistance, 

whipping creases into my flesh

and

 stripping  the remaining  threads 

of  self respect

from my paralyzed body

with no more than its breath. 

When it is done with me, 

stuffing all the remaints of  

youth and beauty,

I once wore as protection 

into its bottomless bag,

it discards what is left of   "me" 

as if I were no-thing. 


I watch from my muddied floor

as the crinimal, 

this ghostly shadow,

carrying all the solid things I clung to

over its shoulder,

sneaks back out of the same window 

it came in 

and is gone. 


I would cry  out for help,

yell for the powers that be to go after

this cruel thief, 

to capture and imprison it

for all the crimes that it committed. 

But I know, 

despite the evidence 

left behind,

Time will always be an elusive,

 shadowy figure

no one can catch or hold on to. 


So I lay where I am

and breathe

waiting for the light of day 

to shine down on this dark destruction,

time has left behind.

A light emerges 

gradually,

slowly, 

faintly

around me, 

a soft light. 

It does not hide what Time has done

but somehow it soothes the pain. 

 I see through its gentle golden hues

 that all that was taken

was meaningless

and somehow in the way.

I look down at my now naked self 

and see the perfection 

in this marked imperfection,

the wisdom in this constantly 

changing  insecurity

as this light

gradually,

slowly,

faintly expands. 

The light, 

I realize then,

is not coming from 

the open window 

Time has crept through.

It is coming from my fading form.


If it were not for Time's 

break and entering

into my wispy, 

falsely solid and secure little  world, 

I would still be laying in the dark,

counting the shadows on my wall. 

 

© Dale-Lyn September, 2021




Inspired by something I heard Eckhart Tolle saying today

Time is something that is ultimately going to destroy you but it is a criminal you can never catch.


All is well!


No comments:

Post a Comment