Monday, April 19, 2021

Weebles Wobble

 You do not know where your decisions come from.  They pop up like hiccups... Choice is the  act of hestitation we make before making a decision. ..It is a mental "wobbeling".... Each of these lives is the right one. Every path is the right path. Everything could have been anything else and it would have had just as much meaning. 

Alan Watts

Decisions, decisions, decisions

Back to making major life decisions...and I realized today just how much I have been "wobbeling" . I have been like a Weeble...Do  you remember those? "Weebles wobble but they don't fall down"? 

I have been asking myself, considering a future decision : "What would be the right thing to do if...?" And considering decisions in my present circumstances... "Am I doing the right thing now?" 



Weebles Wobble But They Don't Fall Down

With any decision I feel I have to make, I fear that I will take the wrong path and regret it.  I fear that the choice I make might not be right for someone else impacted by my decisions. I fear that not making a decision to change something is actually a decision that is unhealthy for all. 

What I tend to forget is that I am like the  Weeble...I can't fall down.  I can't make the wrong decision or take the wrong path. 

I can't fall down. I can go from side to side, from this possibility  to that, from this con to that pro, from that road to this one...but I cannot fall down.  I will certainly wobble ...the more I  push myself  this way...the more I will counter that with a movement the other way, just like the pendulum Singer refers to in the untethered soul, swings back and forth. 

We wobble in that act of hesitation but eventually a decision will be made. When  we release the tension on either side, the wobbeling will gradually cease its momentum and we will come to a still and balanced place. We will always end up in this still and balanced place, regardless of what choice we make.

I recently had a loved one make a very painful decision that would change his life forever.  It will actually impact the special relationships he has with those most dear to his heart,  as well.  For that reason he struggled with that decision for months, wobbling back and forth. Others had a part in influencing his decision by making decisions of their own that pushed him a certain way, which he countered with a move in the other direction as Weebles are inclined to do. Until finally a decision was made. It came up like a hiccup. Though the way the decision was expressed could have been a little more appeasing...he made the decision and its done.  

Was it the wrong decision?  

No , it couldn't be .  It just meant he chose one of many paths that would lead him right to where he is now...because right here and right now, in whatever form it is in, is where he is supposed to be . 

No matter how much effort or worry we put into our decison making, how much we wobble this way or that,  and no matter what path we end up on....we cannot make a mistake. Whatever the outcome... it has just as much meaning as the alternative outcome from the other choice. They are one and the same. 

That is pretty profound, isn't it?  I think so.

I may or may not have to make a decision in a few weeks that will change my body and life forever.  That decision, I believe,  will get helped along by what is happening in my body right now to some extent... This decsion, then,  that will need to be made about my body, now and possibly in the future,  leaves me wobbeling ...true ...but it has also  inspired me to make another decision in my present reality that will be for the good of all. 

The decisions all seemed to come together into one beautifully wobbeling Weebble. A Weeble that is wobbeling to a nice balanced stillness.  I feel a certain peace, knowing that.. Hmm!

All is well in my world!


No comments:

Post a Comment