Tuesday, April 20, 2021

The Broom is too Far Away!

 Just Writing!


I just did a bit of a free flow creative writing exercise and all that came up was the title????  I have no idea what happened to it!

So I am back after two hours to see if I  I can rebuild the story I lost.  I wonder how much actually stuck with me, or if it will flow like it seemed to do as it came off the top of my head. Let's see how much of it I remember.: 

The mat outside the mudroom is piled high with footwear of various shapes and sizes , thrown  in random chaos from  sloppy and hurried feet that had better places to be. I see puddles of dry mud etched with paw prints, also of various shapes and sizes, creeping toward me. I know I should tidy up those shoes and sweep up the dirt but the air around me makes it too heavy to move.  Even if I were to fight through the invisible wall of gravity, to bend down to undo that pile and point all the toes in the same direction, it would be for nothing.  Within minutes those shoes would jump and climb and tumble their way back into the chaotic mountain they long to be in, getting taller each time. 

As for the sweeping...the broom  seems miles from where I am, a distance I cannot even seem to contemplate, let alone attempt to cross. If I was already standing and I  had it in my hands, I suppose I would sweep away the mudroom mud and make my way into this kitchen.  Pellets have managed not only to escape the five metal pet bowls that lay scattered around on the floor, but also my bigger dog's keen awareness and insaitable appetite. She is not one to leave a morsel of food  behind but tonight she has left a trail of  dejected nuggets, that taunt and tease me to do something about it. Sigh.  I am not standing and I do not have the broom in my hands.

I am sitting out at the dining room table where my  computer and writing space , has been randomly and hurriedly relocated from my office  in order to make room for another needy body and mind to crash in. I have chords and wires wrapped around me and the happy checkered spring table cloth  is bunched and wrinkled in a ball beneath my keyboard. It adds to the sad decor of a reality where the only one that cleans is too tired to do so.  If only the broom was not so far away...maybe I could use it to make others do what my body tells me I will not be doing.  

From here I can see the counter top and this mornings dishes, and some of yesterday's too, cluttering for space on this old and tired painted surface.  I also see the "perishable"  junk that should have been put back in the fridge hours ago by others, others who do not seem to know their names. 

And then there is  the banana peels to consider,  wrapped around the base of the blender despite my never ending pleads of "Don't feed the fruit flies!" 

If  I had a broom in my hands, one with a six foot telescopic handle , and some training in the art of horizontal sweeping,  I bet I could clean off that counter in one neat sweep.  I could probably even get the banana peels into the garbage can. I see some considerate soul has already removed the top of that can and has placed in on the middle of the floor, just so I could practice.  In fairness, maybe that someone was not of the two legged version.  Maybe it was my bigger dog, that knocked the lid off in one of her steroid induced binging frenzies. I have yet to train her to replace it. 

It really doesn't matter who took it off, I guess,  or how many times the others trip over it, cursing their way to the fake wood landing, I will be the only one to have the privelege of reacquanting the top of that can/recently turned compost heap with its body. Sigh! It just seems so far away.

Maybe if I had a broom in my hands that had a handle with a ten foot reach and some expert coaching from Wayne Gretzky I could lift that top off of the floor as if it were an obedient puck, making it land exactly where it should be.  It would be so nice to have something around me exactly where it should be. 

But atlas Wayne is nowhere to be found and my broom is still in the mudroom closet, much, much too far away. Sigh...so I will just sit where I am allowing gravity and entropy to do what gravity and entropy do best. 

All is well in my world!


No comments:

Post a Comment