Saturday, August 22, 2020

Water, Water Everywhere...



Water, water everywhere...
and the boards did shrink;
Water, water everywhere
nor any  drop to drink...
Samuel Coleridge,The Rime of the Ancient Mariner

We finally have water after five days without.  What a wonderful opportunity to appreciate what we so take for granted....running water, water in general.  As I washed the dishes with my hard earned supply I was so careful not to allow one drop to get wasted.  As I did that I found myself more mindful...more in the moment...holding each dish or cup or fork carefully and rinsing with upmost awareness.  Before I would just grab each utensil without thinking and pour water over each dish allowing so much water to rush down the drain without conscious awareness, let alone concern. Hmmm.

Now I don't want to focus on limitation and I did not want to make this a practice of preservation. I am, after all, studying Andersen's teachings right now and am in the process of convincing myself of abundance everywhere...of the " water, water everywhere" of Coleridge's infamous poem ...not the shrinking and no drop to drink part (the opposite of expansion and abundance) .

I wanted to make it a practice of mindfulness, awareness, presence and appreciation. I am mindful and aware of the water pouring through my faucet in abundance.  I reconnect with the moment as I watch it, feel it, use it and drink it. I appreciate.  I really do...and I want this to continue for a long time after this experience.  I want to remember in gratitude what is all around me.

Now in keeping with the teaching...I did affirm in my meditation this morning that we would have water today and we did.  Thanks, of course,  to D.'s perseverance and ingenuity, as well as the cooperating intelligence of all that is. No longer taking the abundance of Life for granted. Grateful!!!

All is well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment