Monday, August 17, 2020

Going Deep, Beyond Identity

Many of us are trapped on the surface level of existence with our egoic self but "know'' instinctively that something isn't "right", that something very important is missing from our experience.
-Eckhart Tolle ( paraphrased)

Hmmm! As I wrote yesterday I have been pondering over the need for specific outer world identity.  I still, embarrassingly,  seek to make the ego into something others can "Ooooh" and "Aweee" over but at the same time I know it isn't right.  I know this creation of an "idea" of me in mine and others' minds will not sustain me, will not fulfill me.  No matter how many books I get published, how many "oooohs and awes" I get 'out there' for whatever I say or do...there will always be  more important stuff that I am missing.  That thing I am missing is actually not a thing...it is formless and eternal...nameless and never changing.  It really can't be identified as any'thing' but at the same time, it is every'thing'. The thing I miss is connection to who I really am.

Who Am I?

Who am I?  Who are you...really?

Deeply within us is another identity...what Tolle refers to as the "Essence Identity" .  Are you aware of that?  Do you sense yours and are you living harmoniously and mindfully with your essence identity? Or are you stuck on the surface level?

Many of us go through life focusing on building the identity of "little me" while ignoring the  very essence of who we are. We are taught that this materialist world we live in...made of matter, thoughts and emotions...pleasure and pain...is all there is to our existence.  It is our only dimension.  Surviving here means having a "strong" form identity.  That strong  identity can make us appear superior to everyone else or it can make us appear to be victims...either way these are identities we create and cling to...and work diligently to strengthen...in our mind only.  They are in actuality only "ideas". Attachment to these ideas is quite normal but  insane

It is a dreadful state to be in, but it is normal...normal is insanity. (Tolle, video below)

Going Deep, Beyond Identity

If we truly want to transcend this surface level suffering; if we truly want to live in a higher state of being, experiencing peace, harmony and Love more often...we have to go deeper.  We do not need to keep building identities of "me, my and mine'' on the top layers.  That will never fulfill us.  We need to go to that level of consciousness that is deeper than personality, personal history, or any role we play.  This "essence identity" can only be found there and it isn't yours and it isn't mine.  There is nothing personal about it. It just is and it is looking to express itself through you as well as me.

Human Consciousness Evolves Through You

Human consciousness is attempting to evolve through each of us whether we are open to it or not.  If these words I use as pointers make absolutely no sense to you right now...you are not yet open.  If they do make sense, even just a bit,  and you find yourself with your hand on your chin saying, "hmmm..." as you slowly begin to look inward beyond your thoughts and ideas of who you think you are, to that quiet still spacious something on which all surface things of form arise and dissolve...then maybe  you too are open for a little evolving to come through.

All is well!

Eckhart Tolle Now ( February 2019) Who Am I? guided Meditation with Kim Eng. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk5dlmylOZk
(recommend this guided meditation over many others)

Eckhart Tolle (June 23, 2020) Ego Identity & The Path to Inner Peace. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcsgCytw1BA

No comments:

Post a Comment