Thursday, August 20, 2020

Harmony or Chaos in Unity?

You are one with every form of life that exists, every inanimate object of your world. For all things are made from one thing and thus all things are one thing, and objects and circumstances exist as the result of conception and desire being projected into the infinite creative substance of which we are all a part, in which we are all one.
Andersen, Uell S.. Three Magic Words . BN Publishing. Kindle Edition.

Harmony or Chaos?

Do you concentrate on finding the harmony, the peace, the cooperation, and the "order" around you or the destructiveness, the chaos and threat? I find myself focusing much too often on chaos and destructiveness.

My house seems to be surrounded by wasp nests.  The aggressive kind of wasps...the big black ones with the white striping. They are nesting on the door lamp outside my front door, on the eave of the garage and on the gazebo.  We cannot get closer that 15 feet to these nests before they start swarming...and there is a lot in each one. Sometimes as many as thirty wasps will come out to attack and defend at once. D. has been stung an accumulated ten times. 

We cannot use the front door...even if we go up towards it...they come flying at the window.  We cannot get into the shed where several things are kept and we have to be very careful going out the back door by the gazebo.  Now this looks disorderly, chaotic and threatening for sure...and even more so for my body being that I am allergic.

I keep reminding myself , I cannot get stung ten times like D. did.  I cannot get stung once. Even if it is only a large local reaction I get...which I fear is not the case...I have to be careful.  I got stung on the thumb by a tiny hornet two summers ago and within 6 minutes my hand and arm was so swollen I couldn't separate my fingers. When I got stung by a wasp as a child...I swelled everywhere it seems, vomited, and passed out.  I don't want to take the chance of another wasp sting. Yet there they are all around my house, diving into the window to get at me when I look out.

Seeing  disorder and potential destruction?

I do not want to harm them.  They have as much right to life as I do.  Yet...it isn't safe for me or anyone who doesn't know better and attempts to use the front door to have them where they are.  So we decided to "humanely" encourage them to leave.  Don stood a distance away and sprayed two of the nests with the hose. We had hoped that they would sense their environment was no longer suitable and fly off into the sunset.  Not the case.  They just got mad and even more defensive and offensive.  One nest was pretty much wiped out...but still they came back again and again in an attempt to rebuild.  Each time they came back they were more aggressive and more determined. We sensed more disorder and the potential for destruction.

Nature is actually quite orderly and constructive

Then it dawned on me that I...all of us here...were focusing on the destructiveness of these creatures, on the disharmony and chaos they were adding to ''our" lives. We did not recognize the other side.   They are probably much more constructive than destructive.  These are pollinating insects...they serve a very important role in ensuring that life continues to flourish around us. I stand back now....way, way back...and watch them build their homes, watch them in their determined perseverance to keep going in the restoration project, so they can create, multiply, live.  I watch how they work together as a team  and witness  perfect harmony and order.  I see peace in their relating with one another and peace with how they relate with nature (man with spraying hose excluded).

I had a choice, I realized.  I could keep focusing on my fear and how they could "destroy" me...or I could focus on the order, the harmony, the peace and "goodness' these little creatures add to this world.  By focusing on my fear I add more reasons to fear...I become much too aware of their nests, their numbers and the threat they pose to my body. The more I focus on the negative,  the more these wasps keep multiplying, and posing a posing a risk.  What if I spend more time focusing on the good they do and leave them alone and let them be until their time comes ( one more month, I believe) ?  Can I do that? It feels so much better to focus on peace rather than fear.  I was even able to go up to the window and watch them yesterday (through some thick glass lol) and they peacefully went about their business.

All is well.

Andersen, Uell S.. Three Magic Words . BN Publishing. Kindle Edition.

No comments:

Post a Comment